[TR] Zion - Various 4/14/0

Trip: Zion - Various

Date: 4/14/11

Trip Report:

Another whirlwind spring trip to somewhere (hopefully) warm and sunny with an old friend. Last year was Yosemite, year before that Moab, this year we head to Zion. Presuming we can keep up the pace maybe that will become the rotation. With some careful flight selection we manage to eke out 3 full days and 2 half days of climbing on a 5 day roundtrip. The weather gods smile, no small feat for what has apparently been a rough winter and spring throughout the west.

After scoring a sweet campsite in the park, the morning is spent shopping for mementoes for the children and getting postcards in the mail (which still don’t arrive until after I return :rolleyes: ). With half a day to climb we head to Riddlers Delight, a six pitch supposedly good 5.10 route above the lodge at mid-canyon. Four pitches up the camera departs it’s carabiner bouncing off into the void, rendering an already forgettable experience that much more so. While there are no doubt many classic routes in Zion this is not one of them.

The Watchman from camp

campview.jpg

Desert Shield

Owen and I are no longer particularly well paired climbing partners. He’s a strong free climber while in the last year or so I’ve immersed myself in the seemingly obsolete practice of aid climbing and can now barely climb a ladder. So we choose a couple walls that split the difference. The mornings are cold and our supposedly early start becomes 8 am. Owen fires off the first 5 pitches of excellent freeclimbing to 5.11a in three hours. I jug with a pack full of aiders, water and umpteen sets of offset micronuts. After straightening out the inevitable clusterfuck of gear I’m off, short-fixing our way up the impeccable 450’ tall and slightly overhung headwall split by a single seam that ends with a perfect top out onto a flat ledge. Nine hours after starting we’re both on top, now all that’s left is to rap the route…

The headwall looms above

desertshield.jpg

Bolt Ladder pitch

boltladder.jpg

Crux seams

shield_headwall.jpg

Great Topout

topout.jpg

The Temple of Sinawava

sinwava.jpg

Down Canyon to Angels Landing

canyon.jpg

Iron Messiah

A route I’ve always wanted to climb and excellent to boot! Long pitch after long pitch of awesome crack and face climbing with a short and mild 5.10 crux. Very similar too and every bit as high quality as the famous Epinephrine but maybe half as long. Definitely worth a visit. For once we get back to camp before dusk and actually get to putter around and relax along the banks of the river.

aluminummessiah.jpg

Looking up into the main corner

ironmessiah.jpg

Crack in the Cosmic Egg

A spectacular looking line that cleaves the center of the East Face of Mount Moroni. It starts with five pitches of aid up a slightly overhung 500’ wall split by a long, ridiculously thin seam followed by another five pitches of mostly free climbing. After burning up through the first three pitches our pace mellows and I manage to throw one of our rock shoes off the wall, once again relegating myself to jugging the once again high quality free pitches.

A party above, that had fixed the first half the wall, decides they need to haul their daypack up a variation pitch of 5.7 described as having “loose blocks” in the guidebook with predicable results.

Crack! A block suddenly appears on the skyline.

Boom! It hits a corner exploding into pieces amid a cloud of dirt.

Shhwoooop! Shrapnel the size of bread loaves screams down the wall.

I’m fairly hidden on a ledge, Owen is exposed on the face. Everyone is ok. Just thinking about it still makes me feel sick. Is this just the risk we accept when climbing below others? Or is it too much to expect other parties to not haul a pack they could carry across a stretch of rock strewn with loose stacked blocks when there are people below? Regardless of who’s wrong or right the lesson is learned, don’t assume another party is going to have any consideration for your safety.

We catch them at the last pitch were they’ve gone to great lengths marking some loose blocks they don’t want us to touch while they rap the route below us. Gee thanks guys, some of us actually figure that stuff out on our own….

Mount Moroni

moroni.jpg

The Lower Wall

crackinthegg.jpg

The 300’ seam

thinthinthin.jpg

Another hanging belay

hanger.jpg

Climbing through “The Wormhole”

wormhole.jpg

The Headache and Ashtar Command

Already it’s time to leave but we have the morning. The Headache has to be one of the finest multipitch 5.10 trad climbs in existence. Three pitches of steep, perfect handcracks in a spectacular setting. Afterwards we have time to run up the “easiest” climb in the park, the two pitch 5.9 Ashtar Command Tower. Again fun climbing on great rock. Then roll across the desert to Vegas, sit at the airport well into the night when the plane forgets to show up, home at 1 am, work at 8 am. It’s over. Thanks Owen, I can’t wait till next spring….

The Headache

headache_p1.jpg

headache_p2.jpg

Ashtar Command

ashtarcommand.jpg

Good Times!

friends.jpg

Approach Notes:

Cheap flight to Vegass and a 3 hr drive across the desert

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply