[TR] Mt Hood - North Side 1/22/2011

OlegV

Trip: Mt Hood - North Side

Date: 1/22/2011

Trip Report:

A woman named Her and a man named Him are on a mission. Their metal teeth and their senses are as sharp as the blade of a samurai; their vision is as beautiful as the curvature of a crystal sphere. They are ready to fight a monster hiding in a forbidden corner of The Land of No Return. Show him a sick spirit and the dragon will fight back with the force of a giant; bring an unfaithful companion with you and he will throw ice and stones, show him fear or disrespect and he will spit out a fountain of sharp crystals with the laugh of a zombie. He has the power to kill men who come unprepared or out of simple curiosity or stupid ambitions. He can’t stand women. He laughs at them and points at the green valley full of flowers and birds. Thousands of years ago a secret Indian tribe came here to ask for fertility and cures. They would bring a woman or a child who was sick or blind, they would ask for a cure. They would climb just above a frozen crack of Eliot ice keeping their balance with axes, building rope ladders; they would come to a secret passage in the stone and pray. Dozens fell under the ice…perished forever. Some felt different after they returned home.

Him and Her found a shelter on the surface of a frozen sphere… Big dragon came in the morning, and brought the voices of long dead. His mighty message was as clear as the arrows of wind and ice. They stay in their primitive shelter made of silk with their faces pressed against the ground… strange cries were heard in the distance. She said someone fell crying.

…They ran down chased by a dense curtain of white gas, hearing gasps, and feeling pushed off the mountain. They crawled down the icy dome connected by a short umbilical cord, fighting the fierce wind, trying to reach an island of rocks, being swallowed by white fog.

…They sit quietly leaning against the cold stone thinking about their broken shelter and warm home miles and ages away. The woman is calm and tired consumed by the mountain; the man is alert and ready to go. They attach their shelter to the shallow ice with screws; they prepare for another night. It came again: blizzard, sharp icy needles in the air, gust and fog. They fight with storm again…

lenticular_1_.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll ask of the berserks, you tasters of blood,

Those intrepid heroes, how are they treated,

Those who wade out into battle?

Wolf-skinned they are called. In battle

They bear bloody shields.

Red with blood are their spears when they come to fight.

They form a closed group.

The prince in his wisdom puts trust in such men

Who hack through enemy shields

I'll ask of the berserks, you tasters of blood,

Those intrepid heroes, how are they treated,

Those who wade out into battle?

Wolf-skinned they are called. In battle

They bear bloody shields.

Red with blood are their spears when they come to fight.

They form a closed group.

The prince in his wisdom puts trust in such men

Who hack through enemy shields

they just don't write poetry like in the good old days...sigh.

need to update my life insurance and will 'fore i climb w/ you next i feel :grin:

and a young prince must be prudent like that

giving freely while his father lives

so that afterwards in age when fighting starts

steadfast companions will stand by and hold the line

behavior that is admired is the path to power

amongst people everywhere

:)

so didcha summit? :lmao:

heard about ya'lls epic there oleg and glad you escaped more or less unscathed - question: are russians capable of doing ANYTHING in non-beserker style? :grin:

Yeah, Snow Dome :grin: - Currently, Ice Dome

The keeper of the city keys

Put shutters on the dreams.

I wait outside the pilgrim's door

With insufficient schemes.

The black queen chants

The funeral march,

The cracked brass bells will ring;

To summon back the fire witch.

Wait a sec, I just looked that prose up .. . Thórbiörn Hornklofi, Beowulf, and ......King Crimson?

Now that is the classic stuff cc.com is made of.

Sorry, now I can't resist. . . .

The snakes and arrows a child is heir to

Are enough to leave a thousand cuts

We build our defenses, a place of safety

And leave the darker places unexplored

Sometimes the fortress is too strong

Or the love is too weak

What should have been our armor

Becomes a sharp and angry sword

Looking for some current North Face information? Anyone know if its in? Just got tools for Christmas and I am itching to try them out!

Rock on!

The dragon cannot stand women so you should be fine with your new tools, just dont fall. :)

Some unfortunate souls (must be women too :) ) did fall in the right gully on Sunday but successfully bailed back across the Eliot around 10 am. If you (the souls) read this, we'd like to hear a word on what happened.

great trip and AMAZING account.

it sounds like you guys just got back from the crusades or something!

question: are russians capable of doing ANYTHING in non-beserker style? :grin:

in general, yes.

:)

There is a reason the Eliot HW hasn't been climbed a lot. The NF receives many ascends each year. What is it?