[TR] Forbidden Peak- East Ledges 8/27/2006

off_the_hook

Climb: Forbidden Peak-East Ledges

Date of Climb: 8/27/2006

Trip Report:

Synopsis: I soloed Forbidden Peak via the northeast ledges route, ascending in 2 hours and 30 minutes from the car. The round trip was just under 6 hours including a 45 minute break on the summit. The descent was actually a little slower than the ascent due to careful downclimbing and plenty of photography. Thanks to some great beta I didn’t bring an axe or crampons because the route is basically snow-free.

3820Forbidden0013.JPG

Photos and details:

I set out from the car at 8:40 am after a smooth drive and reached Boston Basin in 45 minutes.

3820Forbidden0028.JPG

I continued up to the upper Basin and ascended slabs and then the gully toward the solitary gendarme at the base of the East Ridge. I was trying to move fast, but when I saw several Ptarmigans just below the gendarme, I stopped for a photography session.

3820Forbidden00021.JPG

3820Forbidden00011.JPG

I got some sweet shots and then made it to the gendarme about 2 hours into the climb. From here, I did the traverse over the ledges, but started ascending a little too soon costing me a few minutes when I had to continue the traverse higher up. The climb still went smoothly and I reached the summit at 11:10 am.

3820Forbidden0011.JPG

There were surprisingly few climbers on Forbidden. I heard a couple climbers on the West Ridge route as I was ascending upper Boston Basin in the morning, but they reached the summit after I had departed. Another pair of climbers was finishing the North Ridge route as I was topping out on the summit.

3820Forbidden0003.JPG

As a result of onshore flow, the wall of smoke from the numerous wildfires stayed well to the east resulting in some excellent clarity, especially for the end of August. This was actually the first time I could clearly see Rainier from the North Cascades since mid-July. I enjoyed the gorgeous weather and views until just before noon.

3820Forbidden0014.JPG

3820Forbidden0023.JPG

3820Forbidden0004.JPG

3820Forbidden0022.JPG

Cascade River Valley and Torment-Forbidden Ridge bottom right.

Some zoomed in shots:

3820Forbidden0020.JPG

3820Forbidden0021.JPG

3820Forbidden0009.JPG

3820Forbidden0016.JPG

3820Forbidden0025.JPG

When the North Ridge climbers arrived, one kindly took my photo – the quintessential summit shot on Forbidden!

3820Forbidden0017.JPG

We chatted for awhile and then as they rappelled, I downclimbed the Northeast face. Downclimbing wasn't as slow as I thought it would be, especially after the first rappel length.

3820Forbidden0024.JPG

The immense Boston Glacier:

3820Forbidden0010.JPG

3820Forbidden0026.JPG

3820Forbidden0018.JPG

I stopped for photographs numerous times on the descent through the glacial slabs and Boston Basin.

3820Forbidden0008.JPG

This is what is left of the Forbidden Glacier! There won’t be anything in a couple years at this rate.

3820Forbidden0005.JPG

3820Forbidden0007.JPG

3820Forbidden0006.JPG

3820Forbidden0027.JPG

This is a similar panorama as the second photo, but with afternoon lighting instead. I can’t decide which one is better!

I arrived back at the car just before 2:40 pm. An awesome day in the North Cascades!

3820Forbidden0015.JPG

Gear Notes:

None!

Approach Notes:

Good shape.

Edited by off_the_hook

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn - 2.5 hours from the parking lot to the summit of Forbidden Peak. That IS off the hook. Quite the day hike!

Spectacular pics BTW. My fav has to be the panorama of Boston Glacier, Boston Peak, and Sahale. How many shots did you stitch together to make that masterpiece?