tvashtarkatena

Trip: The Moxes, Custer & Rahm, Spickard - Standards

Date: 7/21/2008

Trip Report:

Trip Report: Spickard Slam

2704459864_eb9814d16b.jpg

Don ascending EZ Mox

“Paleface Pass? Where the hell is THAT?”

The small sign, nailed to a stump, confirmed what our compass had been telling us: we were not 3 miles and 1800’ feet up Depot Creek, but in some other Canadian drainage, going the wrong direction. The temperature was now in the high 80s. I was eating electrolyte pills like candy. Damn.

We arrived at Ouzel Lake that night at dusk, not exactly feeling spry. A massive new landslide, and a matchstick maze of blowdowns, the heat, and our little detour made for a a bit more than a stroll into camp.

2703637109_ac2f0344b3.jpg

Matchstick lichen (cladonia floerkeana), Depot Creek

Our plan was to slam the area over the next 4 days; the Moxes, Custer and Rahm, and Spickard. I’d climbed Redoubt over 2 decades before, so due to limitations in time we left that one out.

K18b5jtj4l0

Glacial tadpoles: air bubbles 'swimming' seaward. Redoubt Glacier.

2704459754_7baea7e006.jpg

Don on EZ Mox

The fog promptly poured in from the northwest the following morning. Still, we were able to climb the Moxes, although the views were limited to looking at each other against a backdrop of brilliant grey.

2703636511_c948a683d0.jpg

Don descending EZ Mox

EZ Mox is an enjoyable scramble. The snow arête has melted away, so snow gear may be left on the glacier. A rope is handy for a couple of raps off the summit to a ledge system at 8200’, but not necessary. Hard Mox lived up to its steep and rotten reputation; made worse by a recent slide that has transformed the main gulley into a teetering pile of huge, unstable blocks and dirt. Avoid. This, and the vertical chimney at it’s base, can be bypassed either by some mid fifth climbing on (climber’s) left (our route), or via easier scrambling to the right. There is one good solid half pitch at the base of the summit tower at least.

2704460562_7ecdcd2f22.jpg

Hard Man, Hard Mox

2703636873_c84d94fb46.jpg

Heading back to Redoubt Col from the base of Hard Mox

During the foggy part of our trip we traded beta with Al Ellsworth and Philip Smith, who were also in the area for a bit of a slam, albeit on the opposite schedule.

2704459912_c7aa7798a4.jpg

Satisfied, with the Moxes behind us. From just above Ouzel Lake

Following the Moxes, we established a bivvy at Spickard Pass and climbed Custer and Rahm in bright sunshine. Custer’s S ridge, despite it’s reputation, is actually kind of a neat walk in the sky, with one really crappy little downclimb thrown in. The 400’ climb to the summit is just a standard pile with choss surfing opportunities for the descent.

2703636411_b985ff18c2.jpg

Headed for Mount Custer, with Silver Lake and Rahm in the distance

2704460162_44a63e189a.jpg

The south ridge of Mount Custer, the most solid peak in the Cascades

8tJxpRHZ_yI

Gulley surfing Mount Custer

2704460252_ef75b3f8ee.jpg

Just after negotiating the ‘crux’ on Custer’s south ridge. It’s easier on the way down, and, um, don't try to bypass it

2704460614_26cfbb5008.jpg

Cloud reflections on Silver Lake

Rahm’s easy talus summit is gained via a fun little scramble gulley, well marked by cairns top and bottom. The view from Rahm, particularly of Spickard lording over the amazing Silver Lake, which changes color by the hour, is one of the best in the Cascades.

2703637311_fb98df0a47.jpg

Silver Lake and Spickard from the summit of Rahm

hDa30S8I8i4

PanoRahma

2704460844_34ac236b0e.jpg

“What’s that smell?” Skunky polemonium, Rahm Peak

Our final morning we awoke early to grab Spickard’s summit. Parties wishing to make it a steep neve climb can still slip around the schrund on it’s right and climb on unbroken snow to within an easy 50 foot scramble to the summit. We chose the standard rock route. Well, Don did, anyway. I chose to tree myself on the first spire, wasting half an hour tossing lichen encrusted flakes down the mountain until I’d excavated down to rock that was just extremely horrible rather than outright deadly. I emerged from my ordeal to find Don sitting patiently on the arête, sporting a well deserved shit eating grin. Once on the summit we found that we were not alone. A single deerfly clung to a rock, sharing a somewhat segmented version of our view. Those fuckers really get around.

2703637151_692a880c76.jpg

The Pasayten, from Spickard

eOTes6GsjYw

Panorama from the summit of Spickard

Less exhausted on our way out, we were able to better enjoy spectacular, sunlight views of Depot Falls, an 800 foot wonder that blasts out of the swamp above. Every climber should see this spectacle at least once.

2704459680_a2b373f1e5_o.jpg

The top of Depot Creek Falls

80dtIHGsFUQ

Depot Creek Falls

2703636803_846967077a.jpg

A two inch long flathead borer. Depot Creek

In the old growth below we ran into Frith Maier and Susan Ernsdorff, headed in for Redoubt and Spickard. It’s a relatively popular area this time of year, but one that somehow absorbs parties so that they rarely encounter one another. Well worth the grunt to get in there, for sure.

Gear Notes:

A single 60 meter rope advisable for rapping off of Hard Mox. The 2 raps we did on EZ Mox could easily be done with a shorter rope. We didn't employ ropes on the other peaks except for glacier travel. We used a light rock rack for Hard Mox only. Crampons were used only on Spickard, although the approach to Custer or the Moxes could require them after a cold night.

Approach Notes:

Last 2 miles of road requires a high clearance 4WD. An Outback made it with some bottom dings.

Go to the END of the Chilliwack Lake Road. Take the 2nd to the last diagonal turn off on the left for the Depot Creek access. Lie to the border guard about where you are going; a mysterious special permit is needed to reenter the U.S. via trail. Altruistic souls with extra time on their hands may wish to bring loppers, a tree saw, and a chain saw. The trail is blown down and brushy.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there really are so many classic scree surfing gullies in the range. The most classic of course being sections of the Cascadian. Now, I know people have skied, hiked, and scree surfed (screed) it, but we should focus on finding out who successfully made the first scree descent of it and recorded in the Cascade Scree Mountaineering Journal. They set the bar for the rest of us.

Way to carry the torch guys!

:brew:

Edited by DRep

Tvash,

I don't know whether to hate you, envy you or just buy you a beer. Your TRs are the best I have seen as far as inspiring fellow climbers with their simplicity and the wonderful photography. I'll remember that the next time I'm waking up before dawn with a hangover trying to get myself killed on yet another mountain. =)

• 9 months later...

A friend and I had wished those altruistic souls had taken your advice and made the trail a little more user friendly. We went in a couple weeks after you and spent an hour and a half looking for the trail after it petered out. The onset of rain and my friends inflamed foot took our enthusiasm for this route down enough to decide to come back in 2009 and try again. Great trail report and pictures! You made this a must do on my tick list. I just hope my SUV is up to the potholefest road approach to the trailhead again. Thanks for the inspiring TR.