[TR] Mount Lyell/Mount Maclure - 6/16/2007

off_the_hook

Trip: Mount Lyell/Mount Maclure - Lyell Glacier

Date: 6/16/2007

Trip Report:

On Saturday we climbed Mount Lyell and Mount Maclure as a day climb out of Tuolumne Meadows. We set off at 5:30 am and I made it back at 3:25 pm - 9 hours and 55 minutes round trip (it's around 30 miles round trip). I was hoping to go under 10 hours and it didn't appear likely as we arrived on the summit of Lyell 5.5 hours after starting, but the descent went fast and it became feasible by the time I was back on the trail.

lyell0015.JPG

lyell0001.JPG

We quickly hiked/jogged the first 8+ miles until we reached the head of Lyell Canyon and then headed up to the basin below Donohue Pass. From here we ascended to the Northeast ridge of Maclure, passing by some beautiful lakes with great views of the Lyell Glacier.

lyell0002.JPG

Lyell_Pan-sm.JPG

At the foot of the glacier, we put crampons on and climbed to the ridge above Lyell-Maclure col.

lyell0011.JPG

lyell0016.JPG

Some rock scrambling brought us to the summit at 11 am and enjoyed the great views, especially down towards Ritter and Banner.

lyell0004.JPG

And the Lyell Canyon

Lyell_Canyon2-sm.JPG

My partner was feeling the effects of altitude and decided to forgo the Maclure summit. After a nice 30 minute break on the summit, we parted ways and I set out for Maclure, reaching the summit at 12:15 pm.

lyell0006.JPG

Half Dome from Mount Maclure

lyell0008.JPG

Looking back to Mount Lyell from Mount Maclure.

After some photos, I hiked back down to Lyell-Maclure col, and was ready hit the descent at 12:45, cruising down the snow slopes and then slabs to the trail. Once down in Lyell Canyon, I picked up the pace, jogging much of the way back to the trailhead, arriving at 3:25 pm. While waiting for my partner, I took a nice dip in the Dana Fork of the Tuolumne River, which made my legs feel much better!

lyell0003.JPG

Gear Notes:

We brought and used ice axe/crampons, but crampons probably not necessary.

Approach Notes:

Trail in good shape.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...