Ice tools AND ice axes on alpine ice?

rob

Ice axe vs. Ice tools  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Ice axe vs. Ice tools

On steep snow, my alp wings self-belay pretty well, but I've never actually tried to self-arrest with them. I'm guessing that it would pretty much be teh suck.

For easier/moderate stuff, I see people sometimes bring an ice axe and only 1 tool. But for harder stuff where you might want 2 tools, I was wondering what most people do: bring along an axe for self-arresting on the steeps and sling it on the pack when the tools come out, or leave the axe at home and cross yer fingers?

TIA

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

being 6'7", it pisses me off not having an axe on low-angle stuff b/c the tools are just too short - my little kid trekking pole works nice though - you shouldn't fall on easy shit, and if you're worried about having to arrest, you might as well just face into the hill and use both tools so you don't fall in the first place

being 6'7", it pisses me off not having an axe on low-angle stuff b/c the tools are just too short - my little kid trekking pole works nice though - you shouldn't fall on easy shit, and if you're worried about having to arrest, you might as well just face into the hill and use both tools so you don't fall in the first place
If you are travelling roped on a glacier and your partner falls into a crevasse, what are you going to arrest with, your 45 cm ice tool. No, you want an ice axe!

It's one thing to say "I'm not going to fall". It's another to say you'll avoid crevasse falls 100% of the time.

If you are travelling roped on a glacier and your partner falls into a crevasse, what are you going to arrest with, your 45 cm ice tool.

yep

the friction of the rope on the lip does most of the work. sometimes just sitting down will be enough to stop the fall.

makes sense - might be less friction if the glacier's bare ice but then you should see the crevasse and if you did need to arrest, wailing the pick of a tool in might be better anyhow - at any rate, carrying a big old extra axe on a challenging alpine line might lead to getting ridiculed on teh interweb if a picture leaked out of it