What Got You Hooked

EWolfe

What was the experience that made you realize climbing was just what you needed?

For me, it was a day in 1987, just after Christmas, when I went to the UW wall, flush with my gift of new shoes and a harness, courtesy of my friend Marilyn. I watched an amazing dance by some 'core locals on the North Wall, completely flailed on ANY start on the wall, and went to work. For about 16 months, just there. I lived 20 blocks away, and bouldered 3-4 days a week. rockband.gif

Discuss. fruit.gif

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first, it was always about mountains. My first forays in the Coast Range and the Wind Rivers taught me I wouldn’t last long if I continued to solo everything, including down-climbing class five in the dark. Convinced of my need to learn pro systems, by happenstance, I met a guy who’d just come away from a multi-week course with NOLS in Lander and coaxed him into “showing me the ropes” in the Tetons. Established routes and obscure new routes throughout Wyoming and Utah, in the mountains and on towers in the desert, flowed under our hands and feet.

My initial end was the mountains, but I fell in love with the means along the way.

Initially:

I was working on a trail crew in Zion in 1983 and listened to stories by our supervisor John Gangemi about his adventures in the Valley. Backed up by witnessing his outrageous fitness of running up to scouts lookout just below Angels Landing from the parking lot spinning a rock bar like a baton.

Hooked:

Bouldering around Granite Mountain and Thumb Butte, clueless but enthralled, mezmerised by the melding of excitement, fear and potential!

Always climbed growing up - trees, houses, structures - and all the neighbors would come get me when they were locked out of their houses. Then n Vietnam my photolab was 11 decks above the main deck under the antennas. The last three decks were via wrungs welded to the side of the superstructure. In running parallel in heavy seas the ship would be rolling hard so you'd ave to run up a couple of wrungs while it was a slab and then sink a leg and arm and hang for dear life while it went over into an overhang. It could get pretty exciting as the arc it swung that high up was pretty radical and imparted a lot of velocity.

On returning to the states to SoIll I ended up climbing the cliffs to photograph orchids that grew in the pockets. One day taking a break sitting at the base of the cliff I was suddenly draped in goldline and down came a sport rappeller I mistook for a climber. Man, quick as you could pop a tall one I had a diaper wrap on a rope in one hand and budwieser in the other doing my first rappel. I fortunately met a real climber the next trip out and they explained the difference to me. Fortunately they saw the soloing I was doing for photos and quickly got a rope on me.

I used to camp quite a bit. To use our time we used to toss a small rock at a 15' topo of the area. Wherever it hit that's where we tried to go that day. After a bit we found that climbing up the walls was easier than trying to navigate around and it was alot more fun.

I'm still into the mountains but pretty much fell in love with the process of getting there.

Sad how climbing is so straight these days. Lame. thumbs_down.gif

The GoreTex ads of late, like the one with that guy breathing into the coffee cup looking all Mens-Journal-ish, the girl crawling through the brush with this "ooh this is soooo adventurous...!" look on her face, and the most recent travesty, "Bail...Brag" rolleyes.gif showing an empty and occupied ice climb, respectively, pretty much sums up why climbing is now so mainstream. Get used to it. thumbs_down.gifmadgo_ron.gif

At first I thought climbing was boring. My best friend in college got into it, and I'd tag along to the UW rock and try clambering around barefoot, not really getting what the fun was.

After I got my first pair of shoes and learned how to use them, I was able to do the things he did. Then we started making up harder problems, and that's what hooked me: having a vision for the seemingly impossible, and then through effort and inspiration, actually doing it!

It's the same thing that still is the biggest intrigue for me about climbing: Vision, inspiration, effort. Doesn't matter if it's bouldering, sport, or trad; the appeal lies in the inspiration provided by vision.