R.I.P. Dallas

ketch

It is with the sadness of a partner leaving us I share that Dallas Kloke has passed. Yesterday while scrambling in the

Pleiades, a hand hold broke which led to what his partner described as an un-survivable fall. As of this afternoon the search for his remains is still ongoing. Best of wishes and prayers to his surviving family and the searchers involved.

Edited by ketch

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas was a friend, Western Washington Chapter Coordinator and Board Member of the organization I head - Solid Rock Climbers for Christ. His love for his family, climber partners, athletes, running, climbing and living will be missed. His favorite verse is "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=60549

Dallas (white helmet) September 2009 on summit of Liberty Bell.

Edited by Calvinclimber

This is so sad... Dallas was an amazing person with amazing motivation all around in life. Northwest Washington will not be the same without him. At 70 years old, he was one of the most inspiring people I have ever met! I don't know many other people motivated enough to run laps up and down the road at Mt. Erie in the cold Anacortes winter rain. Sincere condolences to all his loved ones, I know that I will miss crossing paths with him in the hills. Dallas, you are amazing!

Dallas was a truly motivated and amazing person. I climbed the Northwest Face route 5.10 with him last year on Liberty Bell and was amazed at his competence and honored to be climbing with him, it was on the day before his 70th birthday. His life long feats are amazing and a climber, guidebook author and running coach. His life was an inspiration to all to never let age or status quo dictate the passions you have.

Dallas, we will miss you greatly.

There are a lot of ways to die. Fortunately, this man led a long happy fruitful life and and died in a way that was so befitting to the environment & activity he loved. We should all be so lucky really. My sincere condolences to his family, friends, and climbing partners he was with yesterday. Take care of each other.

A little extra background on the accident so those in the party don't have to retell the ordeal: Dallas was part of a five person party on a day trip to the Pleiades on Saturday, September 25th. While scrambling loose 3rd/4th class terrain approximately 10 vertical feet from the summit (~1:30pm), Dallas dislodged a large coffee table sized block. It knocked him off the route, and he fell ~300 down a gully before the rest of the party lost sight of him. The portion of the fall that was witnessed was thought to be fatal. One member of the party down climbed several hundred feet of sketchy terrain and found a couple articles of clothing, but no Dallas. He estimated that Dallas had fallen considerably farther, and that survival was not possible. The party could not get cell reception on the peak, and had to get partway to hwy 542 before they could contact the Sheriff/SAR. The mission to recover Dallas is ongoing . . .

To close, here are some photos taken within the last year- as you can see he was still active in all seasons and always fired up about climbing. Although I only began to climb with Dallas in the last couple of years, I really admired him as someone who has been in the sport for a long time- someone who balanced family, work, and climbing. I will really miss him.

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_24201.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

-Jason Griffith

I'm at a loss for words.

Dallas had a special part in my life as a mentor and someone to look up to. He was my distance running track coach for all four years of high school. You should have seen how dedicated this guy was - to his runners, to sharing his infinite knowledge, and to keeping his personal fitness sharp. He was the kind of guy you just _have to_ admire for all the amazing shenanigans he'd pulled off in his life.

He was always cramming in route development sessions on Mt. Erie between track practices. He disappeared on impromptu runs up Sauk Mountain. The guy was an animal. I don't know how to put it otherwise. He was a blast to climb with, whether cragging or in the alpine and he had a true respect for the mountains.

Some say that when someone important to you goes away, it's helpful to write your feelings down. I guess this is that time. I don't know what else to say other than - If there is one person to follow the example of in climbing around here, it's Dallas Kloke.

.Bill

Just heard and I am completely shocked. What a loss for all who knew this amazing person. Such a kind hearted and thoughtful man. In between coaching track, climbing, writing guidbooks, running up Erie in the the rain, being a husband, father, and grandparent he somehow found the time to write childrens books for my 2 yr. old daughter. I just cannot express the admiration and respect that I feel toward Dallas Kloke. You will be sorely missed and always remembered. RIP,

-Brandon

I first met Dallas as he TR-soloed some route at Mt Erie. I always appreciated the work he did on that mountain. Than I kept bumping into routes that he's done throughout the Cascades, like the Kloke route on Mt Kent. I'm happy I got to see him one last time at Index, celebrating climbing. He is missed.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Dallas, but like anybody who has climbed more than once in the PNW, I knew his name well. This was very sad news to read, but I suppose some solace comes in knowing what a full life this man led, and it is evident he inspired many.

R.I.P. Dallas :brew:

Wow- Dallas inspired me in many ways. His routes at Mt Erie were a great place to learn the ropes. Once I came down from the Snag Butress area and spied this guy vigorously scrubbing the boulder near the road while standing neck deep in blackberry thicket. Classic Dallas sighting. His winter ascents guide led us to play around the central N cascades like Lake 22, Sauk Mtn, Bald Mt, and many others. Great adventures. Dallas' contributions to local climbing and quality of life will be missed greatly. Condolences to family and friends.

Mark Hanna