[TR] Mount Agassiz & Columbine Peak - Bishop Pass & Dusy Basin 9/12/2010

off_the_hook

Trip: Mount Agassiz & Columbine Peak - Bishop Pass & Dusy Basin

Date: 9/12/2010

Trip Report:

agassiz05.JPG

[video:youtube]

I have been to the Palisades twice before but never via South Lake so I figured this would be a great opportunity to see Bishop Pass and Dusy Basin. I started at around 6:30 am and headed up the nice trail, coming across spectacular reflections in the tarns near Long Lake. I continued up through more lakes and then the final switchbacks up to the pass. From the pass, I headed up the talus slopes to the summit of 13,891 ft Mount Agassiz. The talus was not very loose helping to make relatively fast time up the slope, arriving at the top 2:40 after beginning at South Lake. I spent nearly an hour on the summit snapping photos and chatting with a couple from Bishop who arrived at the summit 30 minutes after me. The views in the morning sunlight were amazing! Eventually, I got going again and made quick time back to Bishop Pass and then into Dusy Basin. Part of the appeal of climbing Columbine Peak is the traverse across Dusy Basin, famous for its alpine lakes with views of the sheer walls of Mount Winchell, Thunderbolt Peak, and North Palisade towering above. I picked a route across the Basin and took many photographs of the lakes near Isosceles Peak which is aptly named. I continued on through boulders and slabs to Knapsack Pass where I began the climb up Columbine Peak. I went up the arete directly from Knapsack Pass which proved to be more difficult than the advertised class 2/3 climbing for a sustained period (almost until the summit). I found out on the descent that the easier route is on the south side of the ridge, but some class three climbing is still unavoidable. To get to the easier route, follow a use path around the base of cliffs towards Barrett Lakes/Palisade Basin from Knapsack Pass. At the point where a gully is crossed begin heading up and the easier route is apparent (gravel and talus). Taking this route on the way down saved some time and energy and I was happy to not have to down climb some of the sections I had done on the ascent. Columbine Peak features the best view of the west side of the Palisades subrange and great views of other surrounding peaks, Palisade Basin, and Dusy Basin. The return trip through Dusy Basin was just as spectacular and I stopped to take many photos. Once atop Bishop Pass I jogged the remainder of the way back to the trailhead at South Lake, arriving 9:26 after beginning. This is a fantastic area and I hope to return soon for more photography, climbs, and adventure runs.

dusy02.JPG

Mount Goode reflecting in tarn

dusy03.JPG

dusy05.JPG

dusy06.JPG

Mount Goode and Long Lake

dusy07.JPG

dusy08.JPG

dusy09.JPG

View Northeast from Mount Agassiz

dusy10.JPG

View Northwest from Mount Agassiz

dusy12.JPG

View Northwest

dusy13.JPG

Mount Sill (left), North Palisade/Thunderbolt (center), and Mount Winchell (right)

dusy14.JPG

dusy15.JPG

dusy16.JPG

dusy17.JPG

agassiz01.JPG

agassiz02.JPG

agassiz11.JPG

dusy19.JPG

dusy20.JPG

dusy21.JPG

dusy90.JPG

dusy23.JPG

dusy86.JPG

dusy89.JPG

dusy24.JPG

dusy26.JPG

dusy28.JPG

dusy29.JPG

dusy30.JPG

dusy31.JPG

Summit shot

dusy34.JPG

dusy37.JPG

Tarn near Bishop Pass

agassiz03.JPG

Tarn near Bishop Pass

dusy38.JPG

dusy39.JPG

dusy40.JPG

dusy41.JPG

dusy42.JPG

dusy43.JPG

Descending into Dusy Basin

dusy44.JPG

dusy45.JPG

dusy46.JPG

dusy47.JPG

dusy48.JPG

dusy51.JPG

Spectacular setting in Dusy Basin

dusy52.JPG

dusy53.JPG

dusy54.JPG

dusy55.JPG

dusy56.JPG

dusy57.JPG

dusy58.JPG

dusy59.JPG

View of Dusy Basin from Columbine Peak

dusy60.JPG

dusy61.JPG

Winchell

dusy62.JPG

Thunderbolt and North Palisade

dusy63.JPG

Norman Clyde Peak and Middle Palisade

dusy64.JPG

Palisade Basin and Barett Lakes

agassiz04.JPG

Palisades from Columbine Peak

dusy65.JPG

dusy67.JPG

dusy68.JPG

dusy69.JPG

Isosceles Peak (left) and Columbine Peak (right)

dusy71.JPG

dusy72.JPG

dusy73.JPG

dusy74.JPG

dusy75.JPG

agassiz06.JPG

dusy77.JPG

dusy78.JPG

dusy79.JPG

Towering Palisades above Dusy Basin

dusy80.JPG

dusy81.JPG