[TR] Kulshan - 2 Park headwall laps & CD 7/29/2010

Trip: Kulshan - 2 Park headwall laps & CD

Date: 7/29/2010

Trip Report:

I really should check out the Boulder-Park cleaver route/approach sometime, but I love seeing my friends in Glacer.

I left Helio trailhead pretty early since I knew the Park Headwall gets morning sun, and with recent avalanche activity on Rainier, and since the entire Park Headwall avalanched in a massive wet slab two days after I skiied it on July 15th last year, I thought an early start was wise.

I tryed to coax a fried in Seattle to come with me, but he was wrapped up in something. Radio & earbuds were my partners this time. During the approach to the base of the glacier -- I listned to a raunchy Canadian based talk/rock show, and the dirty humour had me giggleing pretty hard, I must have appeared as a nut to anyone in the numerous tents nearby.

The CD is in excellant shape -- very straightforward and direct. The snow conditons were ideal for ascending as well -- firm.

Once on the summit, I downclimbed the Park Headwall to the shrund at the base -- to scout out conditions, looking for ice etc... All clear! SICK!!!!! I quickly climbed back to the top and dropped in with skis. Ripper conditions... A slough caught up with me at the bottom, but i dug my whippets/hands into the snow and braced myself 100%... I was so stoked, I had to ski it again, so I climbed back up and dropped in again, this time however -- the sun was leaving the face (or at least it's direct rays) so the snow surface crusted -- but still skiied excellat. I climbed back up for a third time, then skiied the CD -- which is still in quality ski condition, albeit a little tracked up.

Enjoy this video!!! The first minute or so is pretty good.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic