[TR] Mt. Rainier - Gib Ledges climb, Fuhrer Thumb ski 2/22/2010

danhelmstadter

Trip: Mt. Rainier - Gib Ledges climb, Fuhrer Thumb ski

Date: 2/22/2010

Trip Report:

I left Paradise around 2:30, and made my way up to Pan Point through a myriad of tracks under dark skys. Once atop Pan Point, the winds picked up considerably, and I donned googles and an extra jacket, temps were pretty cold. Not being familiar with the Muir route, I question whether I took the most direct line to the huts. I made the huts before light, and went inside for an hour or so to snack and heat my water for an expected but not to be - bitterly cold upper mountain.

2894307160103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

I felt groggy climbing up to and past "the behive", but I was quickly invigorated by the coolness and fun of the Gib Ledges, which was in excellant shape and I was far from the first to have recently climbed it. I witnessed an impressive serac fall calving off the Nisqually Ice Cliff. Temps were warming rapidly...

2565975150103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

Once past the tricky crevasse section just past Gib Rock, I made good time in relitively warm temps and only a breeze blowing from the NE... The summit felt pretty warm too, although this was because of the sun not the air temprature.

2409156560103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

The skiiing was pretty crappy down the summit cone (really wind affected and icy) but conditions improved dramatically once I gained the upper Nisqually. The entrance into the Wopawety area is a little trickier than last year, I took the high entrance and found some steeps on the cleaver.

2563014770103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

Then some bumpy but powdery snow, a crevasse jump led to ripper winboard. As I gained the entrance to the Thumb the windboard began to soften in the sun, and I knew it was going to be an epic run. I should have brought my helmut cam, absolutely ripper conditions, and I skiied to the bottom without stopping.

2944079420103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

The skiing down the Wilson and upper Nisqually was fantastic, although there was plenty of variable according to micro terrain features and aspect changes.

2353423900103935217S600x600Q85.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks amazing Dan. Way to get it done in one go! I'm headed up there this weekend for a finger ski trip, but not having done it before, is the entrance from the top particularly hard to find? I may just climb up and down the finger so I have a better idea of features, but any tips would be great.

Once you're in the right drainage off the upper mountain, it is easy to find, especially with good visibility and bootprints. Rocks can, and do, ski the Finger unimpeded. Too far skiers left, and you'll be in the icefall. Too far right, and you'll be on the steeper Wilson Headwall or perhaps in the Thumb.

Weather might be mean up high this weekend.