[TR] Mt. Roosevelt - 2/16/2010

ilookeddown

Trip: Mt. Roosevelt -

Date: 2/16/2010

Trip Report:

Monika and I skied an excellent line down the NW side of Mount Roosevelt. When we left the upper lot at Alpental under fog and snow hopping things would improve. We made our way up to the Chair Peak notch.

Monika climbing up to the notch

rc_1.JPG

From there we skied down to Snow Lake. Snow was good but visibility was terrible at the top but improved lower down

Monika skiing down to Snow Lake

rc_2.JPG

Monika skiing

rc_3.JPG

Once at the lake we headed up to the north summit of Roosevelt. The skinning was easy but by this time the snow was getting heavy and it was raining a little. From the summit we headed down to the entrance.

Monika taking a break.

rc_4.JPG

Me trying to look down in the fog to see if it goes through

rc_5.JPG

The line starts out as a couloir then opens up into a beautiful bowl. Snow conditions were still a little heavy but we managed to do OK with it. I would love to go back on a nice powder day.

Me ½ way down skiing the glop

rc_6.JPG

Looking back up from near the bottom

rc_7.JPG

From the bottom of the line we skied NE toward Wildcat Lake then wrapped around and headed SW up to a ridgeline above Snow Lake. We skied down to the lake, and headed across to the Snow Lake Divide. From there we skied down to source lake then back to Alpental.

Monika crossing the lake

rc_8.JPG

Overall the route is very fun with good terrain. Conditions on this day were less than ideal. On a sunny powder day it would not disappoint. We did manage to release some small slab layers most of the day but they did not run very far. Total elevation is about 5,800 ft and the distance is just over 9 ½ miles.

map_RPC.jpg

Gear Notes:

Touring Stuff

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic