Oregon Pinnacles

corvallisclimb

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BrianGilbert_GenHarmon_topcrop.jpg

Brian Gilbert topping out on pitch-8 of Eagle's Dare, Gen Harmon belaying. Climb was made in late October 2009 after making the 600 foot rappel and class 4 scramble to the base of this pseudo spire.

This looks like a great sport climb! It was on my list for last fall. Unfortunately it will have to wait until spring! The whole idea of rapping in then climbing to safety is very appealing.

Okay heres one scary summit! Shiprock (5.7X) at Smith... This is by far one of the loosest most rotten things I've climbed, but well worth it! It was always hard to find someone to climb it with but finally this guy wanderd up to my friend and I as we where finishing an obscure route at Smith. He said he hadnt roped up yet at Smith but had done a little soloing and really wanted to gut up some summits. So I proposed the Christian Brothers Traverse for the next day, he was in. We wound up swapping leads along it with lazy ass Jake (bigwalling) tagging along. After that I knew this guy was core. So for our next outting we did Shiprock as his second roped climb ever at Smith. This guy is Brian Moore and hes fucking hard core!!! Anyways now some pics from the day, all stolen from Brian.

n736903610_1440507_5343.jpg

nicerock.jpg

n736903610_1440505_2370.jpg

n736903610_1440506_3946.jpg

VirginWalls.jpgonlyoneascent.jpg

Walls in top photo have never had a first.

Walls on second photo have only had one ascent made in 1998.

Tyler,

hope you have photos of all your firsts this summer I can use.

I have Redmans Tooth and Jurassic somewhere in my archives, but my goal is to get out and take some better ones next summer.

Edited by g orton

Thanks for those Greg!

Tyler, plan on it, this summer.

Geoff, I have a pic of cock rock here someplace, I heard they changed the name in 1959 as it wasn't PC, but as you can see, it doesn't look like a "Rooster" Rock, as much as a "Cock" Rock from the view the pioneers saw in the 1800s.

...hmmm, can't find that shot....so heres some unclimbed pinnacles instead. The downhill length of the top one must be close to 300'.

Pinnacle_small.jpg

Did someone say Granite?

small_pic_pinnacle_2.jpg

Did someone say more Granite?

small_pic_pinnacle_1.jpg

I am posting these secrets to up the stokage and to be a tease and mostly cause I've been drinkin' again......the point is that there's lots of stuff way out in the woods not far from town, especially in Skamanina county just go look for it.

IronMaiden1.jpgunclimbed11.jpgRodeoSpire.jpg

Gary, the last photo you asked about was Deer Leap, visible from Toketee School house.

photos above from today at the Callahans, Treasure Island (below), Iron Maiden, one of the mainy still unclimbed spires, and Rodeo Spire. Each is fine grained sandstone, about 100ft tall.TreasureIsland2.jpg

Edited by g orton