[TR] White Chuck Mountain - NW Slope 8/30/2009

t_rutl

Trip: White Chuck Mountain - NW Slope

Date: 8/30/2009

Trip Report:

White Chuck - Quick and easy way to get to 7k and steal a view.

Planned on taking the girl and a buddy up Baker for an intro glacier climb...with a last minute boot issue settled for a day trip up White Chuck...belayed her over a sketch section of sand/gravel covered slabs with a nasty runout...she done good and wouldn't need to do it again...highly recommend the Chuck as a first pseudo-alpine outing

nice trip...sweet weather...super chill day with a view...that and I wanted to scout the winter routes...some fun to be had here in a few months...

enough text...pics

DSCF1548.jpg

DSCF1563.jpg

DSCF1558.jpg

DSCF1554.jpg

DSCF1591.jpg

DSCF1593.jpg

DSCF1595.jpg

DSCF1602.jpg

DSCF1607.jpg

DSCF1612.jpg

DSCF1619.jpg

Approach Notes:

super chill...except for the bees

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bees like in ground wasps that attack you from some nondescript hole on the approach trail type bees?

If so perhaps you can clue us on the landmarks of approx spot or whether you/someone marked the spot. I was thinking of doing this trip later in the year ... and I Hate Bees.

Love that scramble. It's one of the few places in the mtns where we get some lasting benefit from the greedy lumber barons of our great state logging shit to 5K.

Bees like in ground wasps that attack you from some nondescript hole on the approach trail type bees?

If so perhaps you can clue us on the landmarks of approx spot or whether you/someone marked the spot. I was thinking of doing this trip later in the year ... and I Hate Bees.

Love that scramble. It's one of the few places in the mtns where we get some lasting benefit from the greedy lumber barons of our great state logging shit to 5K.

yeah...those kind...

gad wish i could landmark it...it all looks the same and was an unexpected "surprise"...its around the half way point of the thick tree section of the approach trail...we just jogged it on the way out and weren't bothered...the trails flat enough...and yeah...i hate bees...

how far could you drive up the road and how far was it from the parking lot to the base of the mtn? What kind of day (total time wise) was it? I was up on it in the winter but never in teh summer.

You can drive all the way to the end just shy of 4,900'. From the parking lot to the base of it I'd say 2 miles maybe?? Add to that about 500' of elevevation gain...so super strenuous :D At a leisurly stroll it might take you 45 min or so to open ground then another 15 of talaus...we took our sweet ass time knowing it would be a chill day...wanting the girl to enjoy the sights and sun...we were up and down with a nap on top in 6 hrs or so...jogging the trail and keeping moving I'd say I could prob car to car it in 3 - 3 1/2 hrs and that'd be no speed record

I picked up a cheater winter approach tool (snow mobile) and want to give that ice route on the East hell this winter...beautiful area