"Flat Stanley" Goes to Red Rock

For our nephew's class project, family members were asked to take "Flat Stanley" along with them on their vacations. So, when it came our turn, we took him climbing, of course.

DSCN1047.JPG

Obligatory tourist pose:

DSCN0970.JPG

We spent the first day of our trip warming up on some of the single pitch gems at Willow Springs, where we saw a tarantula crossing the road. She was a beauty. But I'd hate to meet her in a crack! :eek:

DSCN0927.JPG

Next day, we met up with our friends Joanne and Jorge for a group-seige of Geronimo(there were six of us altogether, not counting Flat Stanley). We split into two groups of three to save some time, and it was my first time leading w/double ropes.

Bill Hotz belaying me.

DSCN0954.JPG

Joanne leading 2nd pitch:

DSCN09531.JPG

Two of the climbers in our group were newbies and Geronimo is a great climb for confidence-building. Lots of big holds and generous belay ledges:

DSCN0961.jpg

Our party finished in the dark and we had a little fun w/stuck ropes and momentarily losing the trail back to Oak Creek parking lot. Thankfully, Bill's sense of direction was better than mine and he navigated us through the washes and cacti without too much lost time.

Next morning, I met back up with Jorge and Joanne for my first taste of Ginger Crack, a fabulous 5.9 just to the right of the famed Chrimson Chrysalis. The approach was warm and a bit strenuous, but the climb itself was in the shade. I led the 1st and 3rd pitches, which were a fun mix of face, offwidth, and a bit of chimneying.

80054.JPG

(photo linked from Summitpost.org)

The 2nd and 4th pitches were the money pitches, with plenty of stemming, long reaches, and steep jams. You can summit by doing a few more pitches, but we stopped at the top of 4th and rapped the route.

Kelly styling "Chips and Salsa" at Tuna Wall the following day.

DSCN1013.JPG

I onsighted Spiderline at Willow Springs, a 5.7 single-pitch which had been on my ticklist for a while. It starts in a wide crack(which can be face climbed) to a ledge, at which point you follow the edge of the varnish. Book states it is "suprisingly well-protected," but I'm not sure I'd be so generous with my assessment of the pro. Even with slinging chicken-heads and threading varnish plates, the pro was sparse and the climbing thoughtful. Still, it was a nice route w/a 2 minute approach.

DSCN1032.JPG

I think Flat Stanley had a great trip. We did, too. :) :

DSCN0920.JPG

Approach notes: Southwest Airlines. (no charge for baggage)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize photos of "Flat Stanley" getting a lap dance or @ a brothel would have guaranteed your nephew an "A+"

Trust me, Flat Stanley had a good time there...some of the photos just didn't make it to the nephew. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. :whistle: