PDX Ice Festival 2008

John Frieh

Good times, mostly it was about seeing lots of people I don't see much of or at all, like you Wayne. Thanks for the slide show!

Thanks as well to John, Marcus and all the others like Pink Chalk for the hard work. Big props to Gary for letting the competitors rip his holds up free of charge and giving up the Portland Rock Gym to the event. He was real happy that you folks were doing such good work in the organizing and running it BTW.

The first year comp, he retired those holds and gave them to a group of climber/soldiers stuck in Iraq who wanted to build a climbing wall. They were damn'ed appreciative and didn't mind a few tool marks at all. Don't know about comp 2 or 3.

Take care all, see you Wednesday at the Lucky Lab in NW PDX for the Kevin Rauch/Ozone guidebook launch benefit! :wave:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good times, mostly it was about seeing lots of people I don't see much of or at all, like you Wayne. Thanks for the slide show!

Thanks as well to John, Marcus and all the others like Pink Chalk for the hard work. Big props to Gary for letting the competitors rip his holds up free of charge and giving up the Portland Rock Gym to the event. He was real happy that you folks were doing such good work in the organizing and running it BTW.

The first year comp, he retired those holds and gave them to a group of climber/soldiers stuck in Iraq who wanted to build a climbing wall. They were damn'ed appreciative and didn't mind a few tool marks at all. Don't know about comp 2 or 3.

Take care all, see you Wednesday at the Lucky Lab in NW PDX for the Kevin Rauch/Ozone guidebook launch benefit! :wave:

What he said.

Good hanging with you bill......and all the others.....super fun evening.

See you all again on Wed at the lab.....

Good times and great oldies. I was able to blast my way down and back on my superbike even though it meant not partaking of the fine beverages. Props to Wayne for the PDX specific slide show, I had no idea the mixed potential in the area. Thanks to the organizers for bringing the stoke. Definately worth the drive for me.

Definitely. And I did have the pigeon when I was there...incredible. Lots of little bones! But be ready to sit at a table with a bunch of other folks...which is fine except the couple we were sitting next to (two dudes) were going though a bad break-up. sickie

Well speaking of sickie , your avatar is looking a wee bit too much like...a dude. Too muscular-y. Looks like it could be Arnold or someone. :sick:

Please try another- same amount of crack is fine(encouraged). :whistle::wave: TIA

Many many thanks to all that helped make this happen again this year. We raised a little under a grand for the Washington Climbers Coalition :)

This would not have happened if not for the efforts of:

Marcus Donaldson

Gary Rall and the crew @ PRG: Gary is kind enough to let us use his gym for free! HUGE! If you see him or Kenny make sure to thank him and let him know you'd be stoked if he let us do it again next year!

Roger Strong aka the nicest most humble perpetually stoked guy I know. And the only person I know who can climb 11 trad while getting eaten alive by wasps :laf:

The Climb Max Crew

The US Outdoor Crew

The OMC Crew

Graham and Cilogear

La Sportiva

Mountain Hardwear

Doug Cameron and Full Sail Brewing

Toro Bravo

Clark Lewis

Wayne Wallace for a great slide show

Dave Burdick

Jennifer Kellams

Bill Amos and the other judges

Everyone who took pictures or helped time climbers

and most importantly you the members of the climbing community that kicked some cash in @ the event :tup:

I know I totally forgot someone... my apologies!

Word up, John!

SPECIAL thanks to YOU and MARCUS (iceman) for spearheading the event. Can't wait for next year!

For you men out there: Bring your hot girlfriend. She can win you lots of sweet gear. (Example: John and Shannon)

Um, yeah, and Bill Coe... every time I turned around you were at the keg! ;)

See you on the ice!

For you men out there: Bring your hot girlfriend. She can win you lots of sweet gear. (Example: John and Shannon)

Rest assured Shannon is slowly amassing her own pile of gear and every thing she won (this year and last) is her's and not mine

Apparently not enough as those kegs were NOT empty when I took them home. Weak showing this year slackers :laf::brew:

Speaking of beer I have 4 cases of full sail @ my house that will likely go bad well before I drink through them... perhaps a few of you might take a 6 pack of my hand this Wednesday? I need to lose 10 # anyways :(

now, now pink_chalk! i don't think those guys deserve to be called "round heads".

just under a grand for Washington Climbers Coalition? Not to bad for an effort not even in this state!!! :rawk:

sorry i missed it (yet again), next year! i'll try to make sure those kegs don't get neglected.

nice job on pulling it off yet again, john.

Apparently not enough as those kegs were NOT empty when I took them home. Weak showing this year slackers :laf::brew:

Speaking of beer I have 4 cases of full sail @ my house that will likely go bad well before I drink through them... perhaps a few of you might take a 6 pack of my hand this Wednesday? I need to lose 10 # anyways :(

Bring the goods this Wednesday. Tail-gate party at the Lucky Lab if you know which truck belongs to John. ;) (This is probably illegal.)

:snugtop::brew::crosseye:

pissed i couldn't make it john - i got the day-climbing or night-drinking ultimatium and couldn't finance the baby-sitter that woulda gotten the cake too - blah, blah, blah, excuses - oddly i guess its easier for me to make pdx social events during the work-week?

no matter - i'dhve been too broke to contribute to the cause and i have a feeling i woulda flailed at the competetion as i bet my fifi hook would be considered cheating? :)

Yeah, word up to all the nut jobs, derelicts and ice junkies who turned out for another stumptown barn burner! Big muchas gracias to volunteers Kim Carlson, Jennifer Kellams, Bill Amos, Donnie Kolb, Paul Robinson and all the PRG employees too who manned the front lines and helped make the event run smoothly.

Now yer picks are all sharp and your swing is true...get er done!!!