[TR] Dragontail - Northeast Buttress 7/26/2008

AlpineMonkey

Trip: Dragontail - CompleteNortheastButtress

Date: 7/26/2008

Trip Report:

The Northeast Buttress is possibly the longest feature on Dragontail, making it one of the largest routes in the Stuart Range. The route offers over 2000 feet of elevation gain, however, the curving nature of the upper butress makes the climbing much longer.

On this route expect loose and dirty climbing on the bottom head wall. Higher up the rock quality changes to "excellent" where one will get more then a thousand feet of quality moderate climbing on good rock.

Lower Headwall

DSCN4090.jpg

Complete Buttress

DSCN4104.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NE Buttress is somewhat confusing, and I'm pretty sure the info in the Beckey guide is wrong as well. Looks like you perhaps did the Nelson direct version? I climbed a line about two to the left, starting in a recess with another recess featuring a chimney between your start and ours. After about five pitches I found an excavated nut placement that convinced me we were on some line or other that someone had been on. I think those lower lines all converge at a notch that is a ways below the Beckey NE Buttress notch, was it a pretty easy downclimb to the diagonal ledges that lead up the easier upper face? Some twisty gargoyles on the ridge above?

A good line that should get more traffic, but I think the Gerber/Sink on the N Face that starts at the lowest toe of the face is an overall longer line, at least in total elevation.

• 2 weeks later...