[TR] Mt. Si - Scramble 5/26/2008

sirwoofalot

Trip: Mt. Si - Scramble

Date: 5/26/2008

Trip Report:

I was planning on a short and easy hike with my wife and children, when my daughter hurt her heel and the wife decided that she will stay home. So my son (12) and I got a last minute hall pass to do something.

He has never climbed Si, and lately has been bragging about no longer having any fears of heights…..

So Monday morning we were off to the super highway that is Mt. Si.

We started hiking at 10:00 am and after many “no, we are not there yet” and “It is just around the next switchback”, finally we made it to the bench just bellow the scramble at 11:47. Nice work!

After a few PB&J’s, Bananas and Rice Crispy snacks we were feeling refreshed and time to take a look at that scramble.

We started up the scramble and I pointed out to him where we wanted to go. Off he went. About half way up he slows, and than stops. Looks around and asks, “How far up did my little sister make it before she turned around?” Oops. Not a good question. Many thoughts were flashing through my mind in an instant.

Does he want to stop because he is not comfortable? He looks strong and can make it. But I don’t want him to compare himself to his sister. In my understanding climbing is not about competing against others. I don’t want him to get in the habit of forcing himself into something beyond his ability just because someone else does it.

So I says to him, “First of all your sister went a little further than you are now, but you don’t need to worry about what you sister did, or did not do. You already made it past how far I went my first time on this scramble. You need to go only as far as you are comfortable, and that will be great!”

With in a few short minute later we were standing on top of Hay Stack and my son exclaimed, “Wow! What a great view!” And it was.

As we started down off the top my son was totally freaked out!

I think he showed a lot of courage coming down, but we made it back to the car.

Then it was time to head into North Bend to that Scotties Dairy Freeze, The Burger Joint to collect the obligatory Double Bacon Cheese Burger. Well, at least for the 12 year old.

Gear Notes:

Advil

Approach Notes:

Cash for Bugers

Edited by sirwoofalot

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does he want to stop because he is not comfortable? He looks strong and can make it. But I don’t want him to compare himself to his sister. In my understanding climbing is not about competing against others. I don’t want him to get in the habit of forcing himself into something beyond his ability just because someone else does it.

That is the best principle you can instill in your boy. Thanks for sharing.