"Closed" Roads

AOC

We're flying in from New York and Chicago to try Ptarmigan Ridge in mid-June if the weather forecast cooperates. We did the approach from White River on a climb of Liberty Ridge a few years ago, and now want to approach from Spray Park to see more of the mountain. But Mowich Lake Rd. won't be be "open" by then.

We're willing to hike 5 or 6 miles of road. Does the "closed" designation mean the road will be gated? Or can you drive and park as far as snow conditions permit? Thanks - Al

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news on the road to White River camp ground being open this weekend? MRNP site says the 24th. Called the park and a kind lady said it wouldn't be, although the response didn't inspire confidence because she seemed to keep thinking I was asking about the campground and also stated Chinook pass may open despite newspaper articles stating the opposite.

Is Mike Gauthier out there?

I tried calling around to find out the same information. So far all I get are a bunch of recordings that don't really provide any information. The best I can determine right now, White river campground will be open on Saturday, but they didn't say when etc. Anyone have the inside scoop?

If you're asking about the actual campground, it won't be open until near the end of June, normal. The road into the campground is dependent on a couple of things, Chinook getting open that the DOT site says no sooner than June 6, and Cayuse getting open that the DOT site says 5/24 at EARLIEST. Latest I heard from numerous phone calls was that the WR Campground road had only been cleared so far to the Owyhigh Lks trailhead, its still several miles to the campground.

We're flying in from New York and Chicago to try Ptarmigan Ridge in mid-June if the weather forecast cooperates. We did the approach from White River on a climb of Liberty Ridge a few years ago, and now want to approach from Spray Park to see more of the mountain. But Mowich Lake Rd. won't be be "open" by then.

We're willing to hike 5 or 6 miles of road. Does the "closed" designation mean the road will be gated? Or can you drive and park as far as snow conditions permit? Thanks - Al

If you are willing to walk 5-6 miles I would just go in from Carbon River. We hiked in that way the previous time the road was closed, winter of 2005. It added 2.5 hours of easy road walking. One can make it to Echo Rock in a day from the Carbon River ranger station which is a great place to bivy. From there it is a nice stroll up to the bivy below the ridge. When you come out drop down to Shurman and then continue down the Winthrop to where the Liberty Ridge cattle track comes across. Follow it for a bit then start contouring down so that you will eventually hit the trail from Mystic Lake. It is a bit long on the way out but it saves from having to do a car shuttle.