[TR] Yellowjacket Tower - 5/4/2008

Noodle

Trip: Yellowjacket Tower -

Date: 5/4/2008

Trip Report:

After grunting our way up the trail with the sun beating down on us, we reached the chockstone.

IMG_0664.jpg

We climbed up around it to the right, and didn't immediately head back to the left and into the gulley. We spent some time and one pitch poking around above and took the hint when we saw a retreat rappel station.

IMG_0676.jpg

The rappel put us right at the spot where we could get back into the gulley, which is still filled with snow all the way up. Our second routefinding error had us passing up the hidden gulley. After consulting the route description we headed back down the main gulley and to the base of the hidden gulley where our goat friend was waiting, as if to say "what took you guys so long?"

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_06881.jpg

We opted to just scramble this section which had only one awkward move at the top. This brought us to the right-facing dihedral which was very wet from snowmelt above.

IMG_06931.jpg

John opted to do the lead in rock shoes and after a bunch of cursing to psyche myself into a couple questionable "friction" moves on the slick mess, I made it up in boots.

John led the summit pitch and managed to get some gear in to protect the last move or two. I lowered him and top roped it up with some more cursing at the high-step he made look easy.

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_06991.jpg

Gear Notes:

Bring a towel, it's drippy

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I've never been up there but it appears to me to be two chains connected with a single rap ring in the center (kind of tilted to look like another chain link).

I've never been up there either, but I find this explanation to be completely illogical.

As in, how would one connect a rap ring (a fused, solid metal annulus) to the chain links (also fused and solid, although oval in shape)? Since the chain links in question are clearly not quick-links, and a rap ring, by definition, is not able to be opened and closed, by what magic would one construct an anchor such as you describe?

What is the carbon content of the steel used in the chain or chains? Were the bolt holes drilled deep enough or were they being pushed out by freeze-thaw? Were those your grandma's hosery?

Dudes, it was a rock climb. He took pictures. We all got to see them.

Nice work!