[TR] Mt. Stuart- Ulrich's Couloir 4/27/2008

ilookeddown

Trip: Mt. Stuart - Ulrich's Couloir

Date: 4/27/2008

Trip Report:

Kendall Stever, Aaron Benevich and I skied Ulrich’s Couloir on Mt Stuart. We used snowmobiles from where the pavement ends to about ¼ mile past the summer trail head/parking lot. From there we toured up to Long’s Pass, removed our skins and skied down to Ingalls Creek at around 4800’. We put the skins back on and made it to around 6400’ before trading the skis for crampons. Thousands of kick steps later we arrived at the summit.

We didn’t encounter any major navigation issues on the way up. We did have to do a short downward traverse at one point. Looking up as we climbed it sure felt as though it wouldn’t go because of the way the route zigzagged. I felt much better once we got a clean view of the summit.

The ski off the summit was a bit icy and steep but manageable. Snow conditions were just about everything from icy off the top to glop near the bottom. We did manage to let loose a few wet slides on the way down but they were not very significant.

In all we made it from car to car in just less than 12 hours and some cold beer waiting. Best one I have had in awhile!

Anyway here are some pictures. Yea, I know they suck. My camera setting was set wrong. The other guys might post some better ones.

The route (red is up and green is down)

Ulrich_s_route.jpg

Just after changing over to crampons

Kendall_Up.jpg

A little rock

Over_Rocks.jpg

Kendall on the way up

kendall_upper.jpg

Kendall just below the summit

Kendall_near_summit.jpg

Kendall at the summit

kendall_at_summit.jpg

Aaron going down off the summit

Aaron_off_summit.jpg

Aaron and Kendall

Kendall_and_Aaron_down_1.jpg

Aaron and Kendall

Kendall_and_Aaron_down_2.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Geeze! Mt. Stuart will have moguls soon.

Nice trip! Your ascent route looks a little circuitous!

Thanks,

We wanted to stay out of the lower part b/c it is a terrain trap and tried to play it as safe as possible. The upper ½ you have no choice but things were more solid.

I guess the other side has seen a ton of traffic lately. Didn’t see any sign on the south side other than an old ski track following Ingalls Creek. I am sure that will change in the next few weeks.