Mt. Jefferson conditions

burglar

Anyone been up there lately? Was thinking of heading up there with a friend this weekend, maybe get a few turns in as well, but reading some reports from years past, I don't see many from this time of year. Is the summit just covered in rim ice and so not really a good idea to try it, especially if crossing under it on the traverse? I was thinking of skinning up as much as I could, so any suggestions on a good route would be much appreciated.

Seems like the Jefferson Parks route would be ok as the Bergschrund is probably filled in, and the west rib route seems like fun since there is so much snow, but I don't yet have a good idea of the approach.

Any info would be great!

~burglar

Edited by burglar

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I called the ranger station and looks like FS 2243 is only plowed a whopping 40feet from 22, so it'll be a long approach for sure. Ski's should hopefully make it a bit easier. Topo map looks like it would be a reasonable approach on skis, but I haven't been that way before.

I was curious if anyone knows how the ridge and notch are up at the top. I wasn't planning on bringing two tools and seems like that section fluctuates between ice and deep snow, so just wanted to check.

Thanks for the heads up though. We'll see what avy conditions are like these next few days as that may ultimately ground this attempt.

I asked Detroit RS on the 15th about getting up towards Marion Lk trailhead and was told there was still five to six feet at Marion Forks and still snowing! It will be a while before you get off the highway on any roads up that way this year.

Yeah, looking like I may hold off on Jefferson this weekend after all. Approach is long, avy danger seems high, and would rather enjoy the time out there than try to bust it to make it back to town by Monday.

May just opt for skinning up to Illumination Saddle and checking out Reid instead. Haven't done Leutholds this season, but am thinking it may be a little sketchy with all this new snow we've been getting consistently this past week. We'll see...

i live in and work for the detroit ranger district.... the road crew is holding out on plowing on major roads cause snow elevation is supposed to drop again mid week... i am looking for a partener to climb and ski descend the south sister... those roads should be open in a week or so... you interested? i will post when i get more up to date info... should know more by friday!