Walkups with Kids

KaskadskyjKozak

I'm thinking of doing a walkup or two with my 10 year old this summer. Has anyone here climbed Adams (S. Spur) with someone that young? How did it go? What kind of hikes/scrambles did you do prior to Adams.

My son has done day trips only to date - with up to 3700 foot again and 8-10 miles.

It would be cool to pair up with someone else interested in this.

Another destination I am considering is Hidden Lake Peaks - bag both summits and camp above the lake. Oh, and Robin/Tuck lakes might work nicely as well.

Edited by KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would do whatever you did to get ready for the 3700 ft day.

Then take 3 days. It just seems like a lot to ask of a youngster in 2 days.

Or if you two ski, once you get down off the top two snowfields, the skiing is intermediate.

Even if you do not ski, there are some pretty good glissades if you have nylon clothes on.

I would do whatever you did to get ready for the 3700 ft day.

Then take 3 days. It just seems like a lot to ask of a youngster in 2 days.

Or if you two ski, once you get down off the top two snowfields, the skiing is intermediate.

Even if you do not ski, there are some pretty good glissades if you have nylon clothes on.

Oh, I've done the route. I'm looking for feedback from folks who have done it with their kids, and looking to team up.

Skiing is out of the question. For the glissade, i'd be worried about the snow conditions and whether he can handle an ice axe. Maybe a team glissade would work best with me and he roped up with a 30m rope and I follow and arrest as needed.

• 1 month later...