Mt Shuksan Fisher Chimney

Fireboy

Question on Fisher Chimney. From the top is it required to rappel down onto Salmon Glacier? Maybe I climbed to the wrong spot, but it appeared the glacier was far below any part of the Shuksan Arm? From the spot I topped out at I didn't see any leftover slings or belay/rappel stations. I found the first gully leading up to a tree with a bunch of slings about 1 rope length in distance from snow. Then I couldn't find a chimney that appeared to have heavy traffic.

Any details on this route would be awesome.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You just step down onto the snow. There are no chimneys in the Chimneys just gullies connected by ledges. I think it would be next to impossible to give a specific route description you just have to follow your nose and if it's harder than 3rd class and not obviously travelled you're off route.

Question on Fisher Chimney. From the top is it required to rappel down onto Salmon Glacier? Maybe I climbed to the wrong spot, but it appeared the glacier was far below any part of the Shuksan Arm? From the spot I topped out at I didn't see any leftover slings or belay/rappel stations. I found the first gully leading up to a tree with a bunch of slings about 1 rope length in distance from snow. Then I couldn't find a chimney that appeared to have heavy traffic.

Any details on this route would be awesome.

When you top the chimneys there is a small step down to the snow (both times I have been there it was in mid-July). This puts you a bit below some nice campsites just below Winnie's Slide.

there is actually a good rap setup for winnie's slide too - a buncha years back we used a snow bollard, but this summer there was a big long fixed rope extended back to rock to set the rap up on such that a 60 meter rope got us off the steepest part of the slide - not impossible to downclimb winnie's of course but sure was nice having hte option to skip it

there is actually a good rap setup for winnie's slide too - a buncha years back we used a snow bollard, but this summer there was a big long fixed rope extended back to rock to set the rap up on such that a 60 meter rope got us off the steepest part of the slide - not impossible to downclimb winnie's of course but sure was nice having hte option to skip it

I thought the OP was asking about how to get from the top of the chimneys down to the snow (top of WS glacier)

I think it is not crystal clear what the OP did, or was asking...

but it sounds pretty clear he was off route.

Go up, go right, go up, go right, following a trail most of the time, when you get to the top you step through the other side onto snow. You definitely do not "rappel down onto Salmon Glacier".

I have only been down it, but it seems to me the hardest part would be finding the start.