Best bang for your buck (a rope inquiry)

backclipped

I'm in the hunt for a new rope. I've decided to stick with a single cord system and was wondering what you pacific northwest climbers are climbing on...and your opinion of your current cord. I'm leaning towards A Mammut Supersafe 70m (longevity and that edge fall rating...not psyched on it's high impact force rating or it's proud price tag). Any thoughts on Beal? Millet? Please help. Think for me.TELL ME WHAT TO BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy cheap, buy often. Buy 70m, Don't buy anything larger than 9.9mm.

I've seen 70m dry ropes for 130 bucks with no tax and shipping- that is almost as good as pro deal.

You need five ropes.

a shortie rando cord for Cascade bumbling and glaciers

a 70-80m slim free climbing cord

double 60-70m ice lines

a fat big wall cord and for taking noobs free climbing and dogging

a static line for fixing and opening new routes.

I considered the Beal Joker (I dig the single, double, twin rating), but went with the Mammut Infinity 9.5 Duodess 70m. I'm not really a fan of the buy cheap and buy often philosophy. I'm more into the "throw down on Mammut and throw down when you can" philosophy. I just started this thread to see what others are climbing on. For the first time in a long time I have no access to cheap gear avenues (I've left outdoor retail) and was looking at paying an on-sale rendition of retail. This made me hiccup on this particular gear selection (and likely every gear selection down the road).

Jens, you are right about needing multiple ropes. My fiance is forcing me to toss one of my old cords out (I told her that I'd make a rug out of it this winter....). I still don't have a set of doubles......she's going to be pissed when I add these to the family.