Fitting tips for LS Nepals

JH60

I've been trying to get La Sportiva Nepal Evos to fit me well and so far have had some problems, and wonder if anyone here can suggest something I haven't thought of or tried already. I know the usual answer is to try other boots, but of the ones in the insulated leather mountaineering category I have tried so far (Scarpa Cumbres, LS Nepals, Lowa Mountain Experts) the Nepals fit the best. I was also leaning towards Nepals as they are supposedly good for my type of feet (fairly low volume and narrow). Also, my LS Trangos fit well, though I know they're a different last, and I'm looking for something warmer and more durable than Trangos, but more flexible and comfortable than my plastics, for water ice and alpine climbing. My problem is that the 43.5 Nepals are really warm and comfortable, and I wore them for an entire season (including up Rainier Liberty Ridge, some alpine ice couloirs in the Sierra, several days of snowshowing, and a week's worth of WI climbing) and broke them in well, but despite trying superfeet and custom molded Sole footbeds, and various lacing techniques, I still beat up my toes and lost toenails on long descents and on several WI climbs. I got rid of the 43.5s and bought a pair of 44s, but now, regardless of the insoles I use and lacing technques I try, I get enough heel lift that I get blisters after just a few miles of walking, and have reproduced this experience perhaps a half dozen times in my attempts to break them in. Duct tape on my heels helps for a little while but just delays the inevitable onset of blisters, and gets sticky crap all over my socks. Should I keep suffering and figure either my heels or the boots will break in eventually, or is it time to forget the Nepals and try some lesser known brands? Or is there some way to rescue the Nepals that I haven't thought of? I haven't had this kind of heel blistering with other boots I own (LS Trango, Asolo hikers, old leather Scarpa mountain boots, now retired, and Scarpa Omega plastic). Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not helping you exactly, I would recommend you try the Scarpa Freney XT. I tried the Nepals but their heel doesn't fit my foot, so went with Scarpa. The Cumbre is similar to the new Mont Blanc, so I can hopefully help with this comparison:

Size 43.5 Scarpa Freney XT

- long and narrow fit

- quite well insulated (been in -30 no problems)

Size 44 Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX

- wide and short fit

- less insulated than the Freney

The long and the short of it, is that with the same socks, same feet (mine), I needed different size boots from one company to fit me properly. Both are fantastically comfortable and climb exceptionally.

If the Cumbre / Mont Blanc didn't fit you well, try the Freney. It's a much tighter fit.