Ptarmigan Ridge via Spray park in late season

YocumRidge

Are there any ways to descend off the Ptarmigan Ridge to the North Mowich glacier without making a detour via Carbon glacier?

Currently both west and east sides of the ridge are snow-free and following the top of the ridge to drop down to the low notch at 10250' felt like a suicide.

Someone even left a wooden cross right before the sketchy section.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm following your inquiry correctly, you're referring to the "dogturdite" ridge right before high camp? Both times I've been up there, we've sucked it up and descended down the gully to the west onto the N. Mowich near the beginning of the ridge. It's loose and unsavory, but it's not long.

I've wanted to do PR for a long time now, and just haven't gotten around to it. But tomorrow I'll be in Spray Park and Seattle Park doing the touron thing, and armed with camera. What should I be looking for as far as garnering route condition beta here? Can I see anything worthwhile of the ridge from these vantage points?

Thanks, MC.

Always wanted to do some ice on OR, too, so this will be my first view of it.

Regarding bears, I pretty sure I can run faster than my friend, so no worries there. Although come to think of it, she has been training for a triathlon in September, so that could pose some problems for my fat ass in the event of a bear encounter... :whistle:

Thanks, MC.

Always wanted to do some ice on OR, too, so this will be my first view of it.

Regarding bears, I pretty sure I can run faster than my friend, so no worries there. Although come to think of it, she has been training for a triathlon in September, so that could pose some problems for my fat ass in the event of a bear encounter... :whistle:

A bear will most likely try to mate with you, Sobo ;-)