[TR] Fortress Mt. - SW route 9/14/2009

wolffie

Trip: Fortress Mt. - SW route

Date: 9/14/2009

Trip Report:

Up My Chiwawa, Sept. 2009

Yeah, it's kind of a weenie route for you people whose idea of a good time is dangling from overhanging water ice by your fingernails, but you go ahead and try this on 6-inch legs:

Spider Gap:

PCSBT_164R2N.jpgPCSBT_152N.jpg

Cloudy Peak. Gwynnie wisely backed off of the final 20' summit chimney; I admired her judgement:

PCSBT_310cN.jpg

On the road again:

PCSBT_385PANcN.jpg

Fortress Mt.; Gwynnie claims the first ascent by a tricolored Pembroke Welsh corgi on an even-numbered September Monday without supplemental oxygen (do not try this at home, kids, dogs are stupid about rockfall):

PCSBT_503N1.jpg

Find the corgi in this picture:

PCSBT_486N2.jpg

PCSBT_510PANRN.jpg

PCSBT_488RN.jpg

And the final wonder of a wonderful adventure: my intrepid beast shies at the midnight crossing of a mere 5-inch-deep stream -- the reason? a sea monster lurks therein:

PCSBT_593N.jpg

You'd think a guy who likes to brag so much would get a more macho dog. But there is no more macho dog.

Gear Notes:

"Nature's Variety" freeze-dried raw meat dog food briquettes; expensive but lightweight.

"Doggles" sunglasses, not really needed unless you're on snow for long periods at high elevations, but they're great photo props.

"Pawz" booties; basically tough rubber balloons that fit over the paws like condoms; ultralight; just for emergency pad injuries.

"Outward Hound" collapsible dog bowl.

Quick-draw leash affixed to pack strap with rubber band so's you can put Fido on-leash before Mr. Ranger sees your beast off-leash.

Yukon Jack.

Edited by wolffie

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic