Vacation lodging in the North Cascades (winter)?

Chad_A

The g/f and I are looking to take a few days to ourselves somewhere in January. Last year or two, we went to some placed outside of the Nisqually entrance of Rainier (Copper Creek Inn, etc) but we're kind of tired of that now.

Looking for something maybe around Glacier; any recommendations? Would like somewhere she can cross country ski, or somewhere we can go on a snowshoe hike.

I looked at NC Basecamp, one of the sponsors here, but that's kind of expensive...but if it's par-for-the-course for that time of year, I'll swallow it.

Thanks in advance.

-Chad

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, you're coming from Portland? Easier and cheaper, you could stay in Packwood on Hwy 12, the motel on the left on your way out of town Eastbound is alright, at least they have a jacuzzi. The skiing/snowshoeing out of White Pass is fine in either direction, the wilderness areas mean no clear cuts, and at 4500' the pass is a little higher than many other options. It's not a mondo romantic type hotel though, if that's what you're looking for. Oh, and obviously it's not the North Cascades either.

Last winter my wife and I stayed in a cabin in Maple Falls (~15 min from Glacier). The cabin itself is off a right hand turn just after Maple Fuels (coffee shop), behind the liquor store. I know it sounds ghetto but it was really cool. It had a hot tub, they allowed pets, and it's quite private. It also had a full kitchen with utensils and a barbeque. I can't find the website but the office that books the cabins is just before Maple Fuels on your right. I think it was about $125/night.

Whenever I go to Mt Baker I stay with www.mtbakerlodging.com They have some kickass cabins and can accommodate a couple (when just my husband and I go).....to a group of friends (6-8 peeps).... to helping me with our annual corporate ski retreat for about 40 people. Love em!

I've also stayed at the NC Base Camp and it was an awesome venue. If I was in the Methow I'd definitely stay with them again. Yep,yep,yep.

Edited by ultragrrl

Sometimes I like to stay up at Trollhagen it is off of exit 63 on I-90. It is a big Norweigen Lodge, $15 a night per person, with a communal kitchen and you can get a private room and just put the bunk bed mattresses on the floor for a little love nest. It has a huge fireplace, outdoor hottub, saunas, and snow all around. Good nordic ski or snowshoe trails and next to the Pass. There are often families there and it's cool to hang out with em and drink their hot buttered rum on the sly.