[TR] Lichtenberg Mountain - N Side Lichtenwasser Lake 2/15/2010

AlpineK

Trip: Lichtenberg Mountain - N Side Nera Lichtenwasser Lake

Date: 2/15/2010

Trip Report:

A few weeks back Jeff H and I were skiing towards Jove Mountain in the Smith Brook area. Neither of us had been in the area for a while. It was cloudy that day with poor visibility. After a while we bagged our plans for Jove and skied a line on the south side of Union peak back to Smith Brook.

We did get some views of the north side of Lichtenberg mountain despite the clouds that day. One feature was a descent line near the outflow of Lichtenwasser Lake. We put it on the to-do list.

On the 15th we headed back to ski the line. Avy conditions were a bit sketchy on Saturday and Sunday, but things started to moderate that Monday. The snow was thick and a bit icy down low, but things started to improve with altitude. Navigation was complicated since we couldn't see the whole slope. Somehow we stayed on line and got to the ridge crest in the spot we had talked about skiing from on our previous trip.

Map

Lichtenberg-decent-line.gif

Jeff near the top of the ridge

1-Jeff-Near-Top.gif

Things at ridge line were cloudy, but it really didn't matter.

4_Group_Panorama1-copy.gif

The trees blocked any spectacular videos, but I did play with my camera and make this short video of the skiing.

[video:youtube]

As expected we skied back to the crusty snow, but the upper slopes had some nice powder.

One last bit of extreme skiing brought us back to the main Smith Brook road.

5_Group_Panorama1-copy.gif

Fun times!

Gear Notes:

Using my camera for videos is all new to me. It's kind of a fun thing to do.

Approach Notes:

Travel on the slope isn't very obvious. We managed to pick a good line up and down. but the ascent/descent line isn't obvious.

Edited by Feck

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic