[TR] North Cascades - Vesper and the bachelor 9/1/2007

AlpineK

Trip: North Cascades - Vesper and the bachelor

Date: 9/1/2007

Trip Report:

A good friend of mine is going to get married in a couple weeks, and he wanted to do a couple day backpack trip into a nice area where folks could drink beer ( and other stuff ;) ) and some of the group could go climbing. There was a total of between 20 and 30 people on this trip and about 4 poodles. Keep in mind this was mostly a party, but we did make an attempt to do a climb while we were there. Of the large group there were 4 real climbers and a number of folks doing some scrambling in the area.

1 mailman and 2 tree guys one of whom is the bachelor

Tree_guys_and_the_mailman_Small_Web_view.jpg

Dave the dogs and the bbq

Dave_bbq_and_dogs_Small_Web_view.jpg

The scramble to the north side went pretty smoothly and we got some nice views.

Lake_below_Vesper_Small_Web_view.jpg

The north side of Vesper

Vesper_from_the_notch.jpg

Since after my mishap last year I've been trying to take it easy, and so I went up there figuring I'd be following and not leading. 2 of our group had been here before, so I left the route finding to them. As it turns out we got on the face a little too early and what was suppose to be a 5.5 turned rapidly into a 5.5d

Rodger_on_Vesper_Small_Web_view.jpg

A little higher on the route our only way up got significantly harder than 5.5d and we decided that we were up there to party and not do a rad FA. To add to that we found a number of rap anchors where others had bailed off that route.

We rapped back to the glacier and hiked back to the notch and then down to the party.

A small sample of the fun.

Some_Sunday_morning_leftovers_Small_Web_view.jpg

Don't get to worked up about the mess. We packed out everything we packed in. Under normal conditions I wouldn't recommend using these tactics to climb, but given that our friend is soon to be married it seemed just fine to me and a much better way to celebrate than going to the strip club.

Gear Notes:

Standard rock gear. Crampons are nice too.

Approach Notes:

The trail in is an above average hike. The glacier on the north side is pretty broken up and there is a difficult moat to cross.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic