[TR] Mt. Baker - Solo Day Climb 9/3/2007

zoroastr

Trip: Mt. Baker - Solo Day Climb

Date: 9/3/2007

Trip Report:

At once pretty and frustrating, the approach trail traverses a seemingly endless series of moraines before finally turning toward the mountain.

baker1.jpg

Fewer parties than I expected on the mountain. I had originally contemplated another trip up the parade route on Rainier, but this climb turned out to be every bit as aesthetic and rewarding as any of the one-day trips I've made up Baker's larger neighbor to the south--and much less crowded! The Baker climb also seemed slightly more challenging than the DC on Rainier; the terminal slopes before the summit plataeu ramped up nicely, and reminded me of the chute on Rainier's Kautz Glacier route.

baker3.jpg

Mountaineering instruction on the upper moraines.

baker4.jpg

On Baker's lower slopes, a commercially-guided rope team plods upward...

baker7.jpg

A bit later, the same party pauses a few hundred feet below the first set of large crevasses. I'm not sure if they planned to summit, because they turned back and began descending from their position in this photograph...can you pick 'em out?

baker8.jpg

A narrow snowbridge takes climbers through one end of this monster. I'd heard reports of deteriorating snow conditions from some descenders, but I found the upper slopes very nicely frozen, a fact which made for some highly enjoyable cramponing in the final few hundred feet.

baker-p9g.jpg

Taken from the summit 5 hours and 57 minutes after leaving the car. The wind on top was feirce and relentless, making the 10-minute walk from the flat summit plataeu to the true summit, a curious little sand hill, seem like an hour. I forget the name of this satellite peak, but it was incredible--a complex, majestic jumble of ice and rock.

baker-p9d.jpg

Edited by zoroastr

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic