Conditions on Baker?

danhelmstadter

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were on the Coleman-Deming this weekend in a mix of clouds, sun and rain making for some fantastic rainbows. Made it to the ridge but looking up and down the Deming there was nothing but a sea of white so we turned around only to have the mountain fully emerge form the clouds an hour later, damn. I believe all other parties on the route turned around due to poor visibility.

There's a couple of inches of fresh snow on the mountain but now there's a good boot track to the ridge. Precip changed to snow/ice around 8000. Lower on the glacier there's a thin layer of breakable crust over the hardpack. Up higher there's about 2 inches of fresh snow over the hardpack making for terrible cramponing (but maybe decent skiing).

Around 8500 or so, can't remember exactly, there's a very large snow bridge. If you decide to protect it make sure you realize how large it is so you aren't anchoring on the bridge (saw some iffy practices).

I bet it's perfect up there today! I'm sure someone's having a good climb.

not sure about snow conditions now, but when I was up there several weeks ago, we were overrun by mice at the lowest highcamp on the hogback (the one with a nice big rockwall...aka mouse hotel). I would make for one of the upper designated sites if you plan to stay there. Waking up to several meece trying to get in our packs and one in my bivy bag made for a lame night's sleep. I probably lugged several of them to the summit the next day, but at least we all made it up and down safely