approach question to dorado needle

genepires

So nelson's guide shows a approach for early winter spire via eldo pk e ridge and deans spire. His SW buttress dorado needle approach shows coming over by the triad and traversing under eldo pk. Why not get to dorado needle via deans spire area? Is there something horrible about getting down near deans spire?

Anyone here been on sw buttress of dorado needle? I met one guy who was on it and said it was ok but looking for another opinion. Always a little wary of the vol 2 routes.

thanks again,

gene

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Gene,

Was up there last year (sorry, I'm honestly not stalking all your posts!) and we went up the usual Eldorado approach and down to the col between Eldorado and Dorado Needle. Super chill, no problems. The col between Eldo and Dorado is a nice bivy site.

After I walked past the East Ridge of Eldo, (the first time I was up there, anyway) it was confusing which two spires to walk between to get down to Dorado Needle.

Here's a pic of it as you walk toward it:

approach_col-small.jpg

Anyway, hope that helps. I was up there twice in a three week span (once with Donn to do EMS, and the next time to try the SW route of Dorado- ended up off route on that one) and it's a great place to be. Hope this helps, not hurts.

-Chad

After I walked past the East Ridge of Eldo, (the first time I was up there, anyway) it was confusing which two spires to walk between to get down to Dorado Needle.

Dan Smith and I started too early in the morning from the base of Eldorado East Ridge bivy, and completely missed this turn-off!! We had a grand tour of the Inspiration and MacAllister glaciers contouring to the end and around the towers :mistat: . While the glaciers reminded of Rainier or Baker, we could've saved the extra 2.5 hrs for another day.

I thought the route itself was fun though. Lots of easier stuff mixed with several pitches of moderate climbing. Settings are great, and the summit ridge pitch is quite similar to Forbidden WR. The team ahead of us seemed to be seeking out harder variations, and the line was not super obvious - so, you may run into harder sections if you "try".

If you haven't seen it already, we followed this TR - had better beta than Nelson Vol II. Have fun!

Just to parrot what has already been written, the apporach via El Dorado East Ridge is fine. The SW Buttress of Dorado Needle offers a lot of route latitude. Mark Bunker and partner were ahead of us and took a direct line up the center of the buttress. We followed a line of weaknesses that wandered back and forth across the buttress. While the quality of climbing was not stellar IMHO, the setting is spectacular.