Chickwire

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what they're doing now, but back long before there was chicken wire available (the 80s) a porky ate through my radiator hose. We made it 2 miles down the road before figuring it out. I then hike back to the lodge and bummed a rig from one of the guides and drove to a gas station in Radium to get some new hoses. In the end it was only the waste of most of one day...so budget your time accordingly if you don't like the wire.

There are two huge corrals of chicken wire, along with pre-cut stakes. You don't need to bring any. I was there last week.

That being said I like to bring my own stucco wire rather than use Chicken wire

-much easier to set up

-much stiffer so no worries about it drooping down

-$25 from Home Despot

-rolls up nicely to use again later

-no stitching of random pieces together.

I personally know a guy who had his brake lines chewed, even with the chicken wire. This happened last year around this time. Moral of the story: take the time to do a good job, make sure you don't leave any gaps where the :pagetop: can climb under or over and make sure your wire or stakes won't collapse in a stiff wind.

When I look at folk's Trip Report photos, I get the impression that it is available there.

What's there is just what folks have left behind (i.e. it is not supplied by BC Parks or the ACC), but there is usually plenty to go around. The last time I was there the parking area was full to overflowing and there was still wire available.

That being said, I've always taken some with me just in case.