[TR] Stuart Range - Stuart Range Traverse 7/15/200

wayne

Trip: Stuart Range - Stuart Range Traverse

Date: 7/15/2007

Trip Report:

We all remmember the trip Peter Croft made though the Stuart range and beyond in the 80's.

With only a water bottle and a couple of power bars he started by hiking from 8-mile camp and getting to Mt Stuart , he free-soloed the Complete North Ridge route then made his way across Sherpa, Argonaut, Colchuck, Dragontail, and Prussik. (Maybe 1 or 2 others as well).

Saturday at 2am I left to have a go at it myself. Carrying some gear that didnt end up being necessary, the trip up Stuart went well despite the usual mosq's and heat. The rest of the trip was a lot of hiking with a few cool moves here and there. After an open bivvy at the Arg-Col col. I tagged Colchuck and D-tail and decided that was enough. Peter went out Snow lakes and jogged to his car. I did not want to strand my car .

What Peter did was an amazing physical feat,done on young knees. He didnt write a big thing on it and neither will I, for reasons I may not go into. Suffice to say it was a good adventure and I cant wait to see the tr's that come in this summer. It looks to be another great year for that, Cheers to Peter the Great!

Gear Notes:

Rock shoes( Though Big Pete didnt)

Approach Notes:

Mountaineers Creek

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice Wayne. My first time climbing in the Stuart range, little did I know we were attempting to do a portion of what Croft pulled off (we were going for Stuart to Dragontail). If I would have known at the time I probably would have chickened out. Since neither of us had been up there we got a little lost on the approach in the dark, luckily for me. We still had a long day out traveling Sherpa to Dragontail. Fun times and real beautiful terrain.

Now after being up Stuart too, it really amazes me what what that guy pulled off. :tup: :tup: :tup: for a pretty damn solid attempt.

Nice climbing Wayne!

What was the traverse from Sherpa to Argonaut on the crest like?

I think I've counted like 15 towers with some steep country and like over a horizontal mile.

Croft called it the crux.

dry pita

• 1 month later...

I was just browsing the aaj's online and ran across this:

"In July, Peter Croft completed the amazing feat of traversing the entire Stuart Range in a single day. He began at daybreak by soloing the complete north ridge of Mount Stuart, then headed eastward, climbing Sherpa, Argonaut, Colchuck, and Dragontail

Peaks. He hiked out through the Enchantment Lakes climbing the west ridge of Prusik Peak along the way, reportedly reaching the Snow Lakes parking area just as darkness fell."

I remembered your tr from this and figured i would throw it in here. nice work man! big shoes to fill :)