[TR] Washington Pass - N.&S. Early Winter Spires - NW Corner & SW Rib 7/10/2007

512dude

Trip: Washington Pass - N.&S. Early Winter Spires - NW Corner & SW Rib

Date: 7/10/2007

Trip Report:

I hooked up with Kevin and we decided to give the following routes a go:

North Early Winter Spire - NorthWest Corner 5.9

South Early Winter Spire - SouthWest Rib 5.8

The approach took about ~1.5 hours and needs simple approach shoes nothing else at this time. With a lunch at noon the routes themselves both went in 2.5-3 hours each moving at a moderate pace.

Coming off North we rapped the gully and used 2x60m. South Spire descent we used the South Arete and down climbed to the last 200' which we descended in one rap.

The bugs were thick but the temps were nice and comfy at around 70's for the day.

Gear Notes:

Take two or three 4" cams (3.5 and 4 Camalots) for the off-wdith crux on NW Corner and one 4" for the SW Rib route. Otherwise a medium rack with mostly cams and a few nuts.

Approach Notes:

Trail is clear and snow is almost all gone. Should be with hot temps in the valley.

WA_Pass_Stitch.jpg

WA Pass View - Panaroma

Wash_Pass0075001.jpg

North Early Winter Spire - NW Corner Route

Wash_Pass0029.JPG

Wash_Pass0032.JPG

Wash_Pass0035.JPG

Wash_Pass0074005.jpg

South Early Winter Spire - SW Rib Route

Wash_Pass0049.JPG

Wash_Pass0052.JPG

Wash_Pass0062.JPG

Wash_Pass0065.JPG

Edited by 512dude

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that the Zig-Zag flakes pitch was more strenuous than the offwidth pitch, which really isn't >3.5" for very far.

Also, there's a sweet 5.9 fingercrack on SEWS SW Rib, above and right of your third dot from the ground, just to the left of some roofs. Dumps you out onto the 5.6 slab. Very fun.

Nice! Thnks for shoring the pics. I've been thinking abput the NW Corner Of NEWS. How strenuous was the off-width?

It was nice temps the day we did the route but realize that the valley was seeing 90+ degrees!

The off-width is an off-width and once the arm and leg are in there one just has to relax with enough body tension to readjust. Like the other dudes said, it is relatively short and then face holds appear and options show up. It is similar to the OW on Backbone Ridge on Dragon Tail. If you want to shore up on OW go to Leavenworth and do a few and then go do it but it is well protected with 4" cams so no worries.

This is further up the corner when it eases...

Wash_Pass0034.JPG

Enjoy!

Edited by 512dude

Also, there's a sweet 5.9 fingercrack on SEWS SW Rib, above and right of your third dot from the ground, just to the left of some roofs. Dumps you out onto the 5.6 slab. Very fun.

Actually it's more like 10.a to 10.b. It is a sweet fingercrack though! Even more fun when you're carrying the group pack!

Here's a picture of it! The flake below me to the left is pitch 2.

SEWS_7.JPG

Regarding the NW corner:

You can string that crux pitch out to a 60 meter rope stretcher and belay above that last little corner way up there, just a short scramble below the summit.

I also think someone should take a knife up and cut all that tat off the block at the base of the offwidth. I think the block is a little dodgy, there's great gear for a belay, and it's the only "fixed" anchor on the route. If there's still a bail off sling on the little tree towards the bottom of the flake pitch, someone oughta take that out too.

It's a pretty skinny offwidth, and I have biggish hands, I might have done one arm bar, but I think it was really nothing wider than fist.

I think I gotta go do that SW rib, looks swell.

Yesterday Otto and I did the SW Rib to that finger crack presented by Mythosgirl then to the Boving Roofs of the NW Face Route (SEWS). Highly recommended!

3747-SEWSwestface.jpg

The purple is what we did. Have to do a bit of a backtrack/downclimb to link the finger crack pitch with the roofs pitch, but it was well worth it.

One exceptionally nice feature for yesterday was that all the belays were in shady alcoves.

3747-SEWSwestface.jpg.d4353abb1b687ba4ca838052ce41b644.jpg

Trog,

I found the pitch before the off-width more of the crux. Looking down from the belay at the 5.9 off-width that prior pitch looks like this and the traverse undercling out to the edge of the flake is the fun bit!

Wash_Pass0033.JPG

There is a reasonable amount of 5.8-5.9 climbing. The undercling pitch has a one move crux, but is fairly sustained 5.8 up to the crux. The offwidth is 5.9 for about 15', then it starts to ease. I think there is also on more short 5.9 bit after the OW pitch, but I remember this being pretty straightforward.
Edited by 512dude

The flake pitch on NW Corner is much harder than the dreaded offwidth corner above, which has LOTS of face features, rests, and is super well protected.

The off width on NW Corner is considerably easier and less strenuous, in my opinion, than that on Backbone Ridge, which is very sustained, steep, wide, and otherwise featureless...

The NW Corner is one of my favorite routes at WA Pass.

The flake pitch on NW Corner is much harder than the dreaded offwidth corner above, which has LOTS of face features, rests, and is super well protected.

The off width on NW Corner is considerably easier and less strenuous, in my opinion, than that on Backbone Ridge, which is very sustained, steep, wide, and otherwise featureless...

The NW Corner is one of my favorite routes at WA Pass.

Perhaps I can infer, but what makes the flake pitch so strenuous in your opinion??? I think it's technically rated 5.8, correct?

imho, y'all are kind of analyzing a pretty straighforward pitch to death here. it protects - its 5.8 to 5.9 - and its fun as hell.

Fair enough, but I was a new trad leader last year, and worked up to comfortably leading 5.8 by J-tree in November and following 5.9. I tore my ACL and had it reconstructed in March and am hoping to be back to climbing by August after a 9-month break. NWC been on my list for a long time and just trying to figure out if this is a realistic objective for this year.

5.9 face moves vs. 5.9 foot jams matter to me and my new ACL.

I'm a new father, so pretty risk averse at this point. Thanks all for the beta. I may be looking for a rope gun in a month or two!