[TR] Clark Mountain - Parade Rt. - Day Hike 7/9/2007

zoroastr

Trip: Clark Mountain - Parade Rt. - Day Hike

Date: 7/9/2007

Trip Report:

Now that Summer has finally arrived [don't blink!], it's time for more shameless peakbagging! This time, Mileage Meister Erick Johnson, who, although he's won't admit it, is probably working on the Washginton High 100, suggested a peak I'd never heard of: Clark Mountain. I'd been in the general area before and knew its local reputation for unrivaled alpine splendor. We hit the trail at 9:00 AM sharp, and after sprinting through four miles of the most numerous and aggressive mosquitos I'd ever encountered, Johnson and I started to gain altitude.

The approach valley is absolutely stunning, and makes for a perfect travel destination for those who--like me--can't afford Switzerland this year. 10 miles in, we reached the pass where most parties opt to bivy. Following a quick snack and the application of a slimy, fragrant layer of sunscreen, we were off in search of the Walrus Glacier. What follows are a few of my snaps from the ensuing journey...

----------

Approaching the Walrus Gl. From this perspective, the summit pyramid, which lies beyond the horizon, is just visible. If you look very closely, you can make out the parade of Mountaineers beginning their descent of the upper slopes of the Walrus [find them just to the right of the summit pyramid].

clark_P_2d.jpg

We chatted briefly with some of the Mountaineers. They were enjoying a liesurely 3-day trip to the area, were friendly, and seemed to be having a great time.

clark_P_9d.jpg

...and they they had really great gear!

clark_P_9e.jpg

After making our way along the terminal ridge, we approached the summit. The scramble is strictly class 2, with occasional interesting class 3 or 4 steps like this one.

clark_P_5d.jpg

After enjoying a snack on top and ogling the superb views in slack-jawed awe, we started back down. This shot includes a glimpse of the approach valley

clark_P_8d.jpg

Some of the gorgeous summer blossoms that grow rampant on the tight switchbacks leading up to the main pass. We started our hike at 9:00 AM, and were back at the car at 7:45 PM. with bags of sunlight left! --A great day in the hills!

clark1.jpg

Gear Notes:

I brought:

* running shoes [kinda missed my boots on the steeper snice]

* strap-on 'pons

* poles

* summer gear

* snax and mp3's

Approach Notes:

For the first four miles of the approach, be prepared to either break all standing records for sprint speed, or don a beekeeper's outfit after bathing in deet. Seriously, we were both surrounded by literal clouds of very aggressive, fast moving "skeetos," which threatened to skew the cost / benefit calculus in favor of staying home.

Edited by zoroastr

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic