gear gear, oh dear!?

sklag

hello all,

just new to mountaineering, actually taking my 1st class this summer through aai. Just wanted to know some things about mt. baker in late august (i.e. weather "typical", temperature extremes, etc...). also wondering as far as insulation layer, could I squeak by with a 750 fill down sweater, or should I opt for a more traditional belay jacket. and if I go that route hood or no hood or is it a matter of personal preference (it seems it should be). anywho I've got my soft shell layers worked out nicely but also wanted to recieve input/ suggestions for a mid layer to the system based on the community's/ individual experiences. BTW I'm 160, lean and can get cold, or not. my metabolism and body seem to be wierd at times. thanks for reading my ramble.

sklag

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(i.e. weather "typical", temperature extremes, etc...)

The weather will be stellar. In the mountains the temps will range from freezing at night, to 60s-70s or warmer during the day.

also wondering as far as insulation layer, could I squeak by with a 750 fill down sweater

down sweater no hood will be fine. a nice extra layer is like a Pat exped weight top

statistically, you will have conditions like alex states. It can suck though. We had 5 days of hard rain on a 6 day course once in august but that was the exception to the rule.

The down sweater will probably stay in the pack for the whole trip. It seems like the only times people have gotten really cold has been in the rain with winds. This condition does not do well with down materials. If you got the cash and are really concerned about this, I would suggest a light synthetic sweater/jacket in addition to your regular climbing clothing. Your gear list may already state this.

I find wearing a pair of shorts over polypro long underwear is both functional and stylish.

Good luck.

The ladies, in particular, really like this look. You better bring a padlock for your tent door.

I figured I'd wear my titanium chastity belt, only 6.3564756E7 oz, and skimp on fuel, because with my polypro and shorts I'd be the hottest thing on the mountain! Hmmm, bringing sexy back...

One more question though, how would you layer that- just the poly pro or the shorts underneath, gosh this climbing stuff is cornfusin' me!

Edited by sklag

Stick with REI. The guy with the pimples will set you up.

Actually, I am a big fan of their garage sales. I have a few of their soft shell items. I tend to stay warm while moving. A thin capilene top with a light weight wind shirt usuall covers me for hiking. Pants are thin nylon. Same with shorts. They dry quickly so you can jump in lakes and wash them without slowing down. Use your softshell for the next layer or two and that will get you into the late evening.