through hike/climb from St Helens to Mt Adams?

golovachev

Hi! I am a backpacker from Saint-Petersburg, Russia.

I'll be visiting Seattle in mid June with my stepfather (he is a US resident). We'd like to take a strenuous hike in Cascades and the most rational route for me seems a through hike from St Helens to Mt Adams.

Could you guys help me with these concerns:

1) How much time would it take to hike from St Helens to Mt Adams and climb both (considering we are in very good physical shape)? Are there any trails to follow?

2) Will I need any special gear when climbing Mt Adams from south? Most websites say that it would be an easy snowfield hike, but I wonder whether I'll need rope/crampons.

3) Does anybody want to join us? :) I believe we'll need a second car to finish a linear route.

Any advices welcome! :)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know how long it will take, but for what it's worth, try to find some info on "the dark divide". This is Indian Heaven forest land, but the dark divide was an obscure name that apparently was the trail between these peaks.

South on Adams can be done with crampons; no need for rope.

I'm not sure if there are any trails between St. Helens and Adams so you might be doing some difficult navigating and bushwhacking. Would be quite a trip though.

Another less adventurous option might be to link up several peaks via the Pacific Crest Trail. It's a very well-defined trail that runs North/South along the crest of the Cascade range and runs right past most of the volcanoes.

Wow,

Seems like an impressive feat to undertake, no doubt. I haven't spent much time there, so I have no useful info, but seems like a great area according to the accounts of the late Supreme Court Justice, William O. Douglas, whose had spent much time there. One of my favorite books is Of Men and Mountains.

The Pacific Crest is defintely a good idea too, try "The Pacific Crest" by Shaeffer or Schaffer.