Ice in CANADA

sean_beanntan

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have heard some of the sunnier climbs got a bit affected during the past few weeks due to lack of precip, but things are holding up fine. However there's a major avy cycle in process at the moment and forecast for the weekend sounds like it'd be a good idea to stay away from the big drains for awhile. "Considerable" through the weekend. Parks says they are bombing Mt. Wilson, and the Bourgeaus today.

I just got back from there. It dumped snow, then warmed up. Anything west of Banff is probably not a good place to be. Kananaskis is good. There's a ton of snow in the Ghost Valley, but it's old. Our 4x4 truck caouldn't handle the snowdrifts and we had to turn around. Rte 11 is surprisingly clear of snow.

Edited by ybatom

Was up there in January. Ended up with high avalance conditions everywhere.

Cragged at Haffner one day, did Louise Falls the next, and then headed out to the Weeping Wall. No, nothing got lopped off the tick list that time, but beats getting buried by a wall of white.

Might want to check out Johnston Canyon? Never been there, but I'm told it's an alternative to Haffner if you've already been there.

Have fun up there!

Weekendclimberz, Trogdor, Catbirdseat, and I are driving back from Canmore right now. TR to come tomorrow... But, don't go to Canada to ice climb... The ice was too fat and plastic to have any fun. Many routes were climbed but no one had any fun. The beer was warm, the beds were too comfortable and we got a shower every night which sucked.

Thanks for all the beta, here is how the trip went. I can post more details later or just ask more questions

Feb 16th Haffner Creek, good Ice conditions, lots of climbers mixing it up

Feb 17th Moonlight, Evan Thomas Ck on h/w 40, good shape, picked

Feb 18th Balfour Wall, just like Haffner, good group site

Feb 19th Louise Falls, Fat but no plastic

Feb 20th Snowline, Evan Thomas Ck on h/w 40, good shape, picked

Feb 21th Candlestick Maker in the Ghost, great shape

Feb 22th The Sorcerer, in the Ghost, great shape

Feb 23th Wicked Wanda, in the Ghost WI5 shape out of cave.

It snowed a lot up there but access to the ghost was good, climbing temps around 10F....no sun on the routes. We parked the camper at the base of the hill and drove a jeep to the climbs. Access times to climbs in the ghost match the guide book ie Sorcerer about 2 hours.

I notice no one mentions the sweet hottubing at the White Swan hot springs. Nothing better than a soak after 8 days on the ice.

Dont pass this place up, about 10 miles south of Canal Flats

Hope this helps,

There is a good hostel in Banff called Banff International Hostel or more fancy but never been there called The HI Banff Alpine Centre Hostel. The Alpine Hut in Canmore is also a good bet. It depends on how many climbers you have. We pack about 4 into the Drake Inn in Canmore and its a cheap sweet setup close to food and beer.

Thanks again all. Another dumb question - I have JoJo's ice guide, and it mentions another guide to mixed climbing by Sean Isaacs, such as for the Haffner Creek area. Is that one reasonably up-to-date ? Is there anything in the M5-6 range to TR at Haffner ?