OR road trip TR

nolanr

High tailed it down to Crater Lake last Sat., parked at the PCT TH just outside SW entrance to the park (there was a nice run of salmon in the N. Umpqua on the drive out, stopped a few times to dink around). Next day entered the Park and did several short hikes around the rim and down to Cleetwood Cove. Visibility was severely limited by smoke from the fires to the south. Hillman Peak had some interesting craggy spires around it. On Monday did Mt. Thielsen, some cool looking gulleys dropping 2000' down the east side w/ weird volcanic towers rising above. Scrambled on some of the little craggy things working my way back downhill. I could've sworn I heard an elk bugling from somewhere down below the peak on the west side, I did see two cow elk down by the TH on the way out. I know it's way early for that, but it was so frickin' cold for this time of year maybe he thought it was fall already so he was starting the rut, dammit! The temps never got above the low 40's at Crater Lake on Sun. Anyway, next headed north to the 3 Sisters area and away from the smoke. Weather started getting a little better. Went up Fall Creek to the Green Lakes, did a loop around the lakes, then up a shoulder of Broken Top to the highest point on the SW aspect of the crater rim. Awesome view across the rest of the rim and down into the crater. Followed ridgeline down a ways, then cut across and followed drainage creek of glacier up into the crater. I love that place! Followed the right hand moraine up to its top, started to run out of day so I headed down via Soda Creek trail. Wed. climbed Three Fingered Jack and traversed completely around the mountain using Canyon Creek Meadow TH as entry point, descended down to PCT after topping out, followed it N to saddle above upper Canyon Creek Meadow, then descended to meadow and followed trail back down. Fun outing. I was surprised by the quality of rock on all the volcanos I played around on, it's not as rotten as their reputation suggests. The worst part is the scree slog approaches. The rock on the summit towers aren't that bad, I didn't think.

Anyway, headed out east on 20, crossed over into Idaho, then N up to Riggins and into the Seven Devils next to Hell's Canyon. 2 night trip up there, scrambled up three of the peaks on my 1 full day up there. He Devil was by far the funnest and best climbing. Then a long hot drive back to Seattle thru the Palouse country and I-90. Great trip.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic