my opinions of CC.com

Gary_Yngve

A few days ago, I asked about recommended guidebooks for other areas. The thread went to the toilet immediately. I had to post a second thread insisting on no BS to get answers.

A few days ago, when I suggested that Newbies have better etiquette, Alpinfox responded to the effect of, "I don't care. This is my entertainment."

From the Beckey-Chouinard thread:

There's a bunch more CC.commers who were up in the Bugs who haven't posted their adventures here. I can think of 8 off the top of my head.

That's special. Do you know Dean or Timmy?

I think the reason more people (perhaps including the above people -- and I just remembered another two folks who were up in the Bugs in the past month) aren't posting reports here is because there are a bunch of hoodlums using this site as their anarchist's playground, ready to pounce on the scapegoat of the month when they're not distracted by spraying their inane juvenile dribble on the latest thread.

This site has never been about rules, so what I'm asking is:

1) What's the consensus of everyone who posts here regarding spray, insults, hijacking, abuse of newbs, etc.? (Opinions of real people, not avatars.)

2) Will the "abusers" voluntarily control themselves if consensus dictates as such?

I haven't posted trip reports / photos here in about a month partially because of my frustrations with certain posters on this site, and for now, I think I'll keep it that way.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few days ago, I asked about recommended guidebooks for other areas. The thread went to the toilet immediately.

Gary,

The areas you were requesting info on have numerous threads rec'ing guidebooks already. You are just looking for spoon feeding. Amusingly, when people ask you for information, you blow them off. So get stuffed.

CJ, I'll search for guidebook recs on CC.com before I contest your claim. But I see nothing wrong with asking for spoonfeeding. It probably takes a whiner more effort to complain to me than for the resident expert to give their opinions.

Regarding me giving info, I'm more than happy to give it. I don't think I've ever refused to give info. It's very possible that if an info request was made in a thread (as opposed to a PM), then I simply never saw it. I'd be interested in seeing any evidence you dig up.

1) What's the consensus of everyone who posts here regarding spray, insults, hijacking, abuse of newbs, etc.? (Opinions of real people, not avatars.)

I think abusing newbs is lame, and it seems like most people agree lately. There seems to be remarkable restraint lately on the behalf of the hoodlums in terms of not picking on newbs. Of course, we're talking newb posters here. Big difference in terms of abusing newbs who aren't here (e.g. Mounties). There seems to be a big increase in new faces the last couple of months, and with a few exceptions I think they've not been harassed.

With respect to hijacking, there are definite degrees. Spray sees a lot hijacking, but you're warned there to have a thick skin. TR's see more subtle hijacking (obvious ones are quickly deleted by mods usually), like say a TR about a really cool route in the Bugaboos getting derailed by someone coyly suggesting that they've been to the Bugaboos too and know other people who have been there. What the hell does that have to do with the Howser Tower? Ooops, getting sidetracked .....

But anyway, as with all threads of this nature I will end with DLTDHYITA! (Don't let the doorknob hit you in the ass) grin.gif

CAN'T REPLY

TOO BUSY SPRAYING

From what I see, TRs generally get thumbs-up. I've written trip reports for the Sulphide Glacier (woohoo) and NW Arete of Argonaut, these aren't hardman climbs but the reception was generally encouraging.

I think Gary has the perception he states above because people like to spray on him, specifically. Because he'll react all indignant and affronted.

Edited by counterfeitfake

ChucK, my comment was a direct followup to Oly's note that there have been a lot of CC.commers in the Bugs, many more than those who actually posted TRs. I pulled tangential discussion away to here, as I've learned that people may not like it when I go photogeek on their TRs.

Oly, I'll give Ignore User a try.

Why post a TR at all? It's just a waste of 1's and 0's, unless it's an FA, FWA, FS, FFS, FWS, or a second ascent (to confirm the rating). Should I post a TR every time I do a climb that's already been done a hundred times? LAME...

"We climbed [insert name of trade route HERE] and I'd like the whole world to read about my experience." Save it for your diary.

Heck yeah. The TR's with great pictures and story are GREAT even if it's heading up Helens or something. The main reason I come here is to escape the reality of work to read and look at photos. And to post incredibly hilarious prose that everyone loves.

The number reason to log on to CC.com is to see what Cobra is up to. His prose really is extraordinary, and the wit, the wit...don't get me started about the wit. And to read TRs too. Those are good. Imagine if Cobra posted a TR? I'd hate to see what would happen to my keyboard and monitor.

Why post a TR at all? It's just a waste of 1's and 0's, unless it's an FA, FWA, FS, FFS, FWS, or a second ascent (to confirm the rating). Should I post a TR every time I do a climb that's already been done a hundred times? LAME...

"We climbed [insert name of trade route HERE] and I'd like the whole world to read about my experience." Save it for your diary.

...and then once, like, i went to an REI store, and like, got all ferocious-looking-like and scared the employees into giving me another helmet...it was RAD

geer notes:

one helmet, freshly sat upon

two beerz, for liquid courage

one puny employee

keyboard for chestbeat spray fest tr

Approach notes:

-go up the stairs to the customer service dep't

-locate most-frightened looking employee

-start hyperventilation and foaming at the mouth to more closely approximate a rabid tool

-quickly locate nearest cybercafe to spray while the adrenaline is flowin'

But imagine if a sniffling sycophant wants to read your diary with hopes of savoring the bread crumbs of your send of the dog route? What if the cube walls would come crushing in if we didn't hear about the 1000000000000000th ascent of das toof? Open up your diary, Master Choad, and let the little people like me have a peek at a true alpinist. With pics please. Condescend to post your experiences Master Choad, and inspire the masses.