Skinning up Hood from Govy via Glade Trail

Chad_A

I finally purchased an AT setup this year. So, in my ski newbie-ness, I'd like to skin up from Govy to, say, Silcox...but to do it, you have to ski through the Timberline ski area. What is the etiquette for going through that area when skiers and snowboarders are zipping downhill?

Sorry about the silly question, but this whole ski thing is...totally unknown to me. I'd choose a different outing, but I'm afraid I'd kill myself going back down anything steeper, while going through a treed area tongue.gif . Yeah, I suck....but I'm trying to get better.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chad,

The top of the Glade is at the bottom of one of the lifts. So, to get to the Silcox from there you're going to have to ski through the area. I don't know that ski patrol really likes it, but I'm pretty sure you have the right to be there. Stay to the margins of the trail. It's obviously better to do it in a low volume day than say, the day after Christmas. FWIW I think the Glad trail might actually be a tad difficult to ski down if you're a new skier. As I recall, you're going to be forced to make some tight turns (for a newb) and there are lots of little dips that might feel uncomfortable. But there's only one way to learn, right?

I think there's a couple options of trails from Govy to T-line - isn't there something just West of the glade trail that's got less tight turns? I went up there with a friend this winter and we skinned up/skied down a trail that was really mellow, almost too flat for even a total gumby skier like myself.

sorry I don't remember the name.

As far as skiing through the ski area, I wouldn't know; we turned around at the lifts.

I think Nate is right on going through the lift areas. Seems to me, you have to pay for a lift ticket but the resort is on public forest lands so anyone can be there. I've never researched it but heard that from someone else. I was never hassled the few times I skinned up but it was also a really slow time of year and I don't even remember running into a ski patrol or employees.

I think there's a couple options of trails from Govy to T-line - isn't there something just West of the glade trail that's got less tight turns? I went up there with a friend this winter and we skinned up/skied down a trail that was really mellow, almost too flat for even a total gumby skier like myself.

I'm pretty sure this is true, a few years ago a friend and I skinned up to T-Lodge from the Summit ski area and we went off to the right up a really mellow trail that came out near the lodge. From there you could go over to the climber's trail and skin up Palmer from there. No need to go through the ski area. On the way down we went down the steeper trail straight down from the lift.

Cool, I'll check this all out tomorrow, if this sore throat goes away. Too bad, looks like today would've been the nice day to go.

I did buy a spring pass for T-line, so I'll bring that with me in case patrol has an issue with me being there. The whole point for me is to get out there with the stuff I bought and use it.

Thanks for the input, all.

This morning I skinned up Glade. Then I skinned up "kruser" which is one of the Timberline ski trails. One ski patrol guy paid no attention to me and my partner and our up-hill travel. Another Patroller slowed down like he was going to say something, but when he took one look at my bad assed looks, he just skiied on...

Then while skinning up out of bounds along the mile, not one soul bothered us. Then I hit a white out half way up palmer. Time to pull the skins, transition back to a snowboard, and soak in the fresh powder...

BTW, I have yet to get any real trouble for my up-hill exploits at Timberline. (Except for the prick patrollers at the top of palmer that DEMANDED to see my wilderness permit once. I told them to STFU, and the PMR guys that skinned up behind me concurred with me!

If I where you, I would not worry about it. Also, in your newbile state, stay away from Alpine trail. Rutted, crap, and flat at the bottom. Glade is a nicer decent. Westleg trail is too mellow, and you need to pole alot....

I'm pretty sure this is true, a few years ago a friend and I skinned up to T-Lodge from the Summit ski area and we went off to the right up a really mellow trail that came out near the lodge. From there you could go over to the climber's trail and skin up Palmer from there. No need to go through the ski area. On the way down we went down the steeper trail straight down from the lift.

This has all changed as of this year, as T-Line installed a new lift, and a dozen new trails in that exact area...

Chad,

I went up the Glade a few weeks ago and was actually surprised at how wide the trail was. I was expecting a backcountry experience, but the swath logged for the trail is plenty wide for newbs. The grade is also pretty chill, I think I made two turns after leaving T-line to keep up speed in deep snow, the rest was just pointing downhill. On the way up I skinned Kruser and stayed to the side of the groomer until the Mile. Like Frikadeller, I got a few looks, but no one stopped to "set me straight".

FYI, if you start at Thunderhead trailhead you end up a block from the brewery in Govy when you get back!