[TR] Mt. Rainier- Emmons 7/3/2006

MountainTex

Climb: Mt. Rainier-Emmons

Date of Climb: 7/3/2006

Trip Report:

My wife and I headed up from White River Campground Saturday morning and camped on a rock outcropping on the Inter-Glacier (7200). There was only (1)crevasse that had opened up and the boot track up to Curtis Ridge was in great shape. We camped at Emmons Flats (9700) Sunday night watching the clouds roll in over the summit.

We got a late start around 3:30, but almost had the route to ourselves. We climbed into a white-out at about 13,000 ft with the occasional 30MPH gust. There was an excellent boot path and the route was well wanded so we decided to push on. The shrund proved to be a no issue which made us feel a lot better about being up there alone. The wind really kicked in (40-50MPH sustained) when we reached the crater rim. We then walked the rim until we reached the summit. After a couple of cold pictures we decided to head back down and get out of the weather. With very little visibilty there wasn't much reason to stay.

ROute finding on the way down wasn't a big issue, but the snow was balling up on our crampons pretty badly. We broke through the clouds again around 12,000 ft and had a beautiful descent the rest of the way down. The route is melting out fast, but still very direct. I guess we need to go back so we can actually see what the summit looks like.

Gear Notes:

standard glacier gear

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days