[TR] Rainier- Liberty Ridge 6/25/2006

dbconlin

Climb: Rainier-Liberty Ridge

Date of Climb: 6/25/2006

Trip Report:

My first Rainier Summit! (3rd try in last year)

scottgg and I climbed Lib Ridge this past weekend with blazing temps and a small herd of other lib-ridgers. Starting from Whit River CG, we hiked/slogged to Thumb rock on Saturday. The lower part of the ridge was a real b**ch due to super soft snow and increasing exhaustion. We leap-frogged the leads with two other parties of two who were approaching around the same time. Thumb rock turned out to be a bit of an encampment, with 7 (seven!) parties of two (fourteen!) people hanging in the sun. So many tents barely fit. Scott and I had brought bivy sacks, so we needed a slightly smaller platform, but it was still a squeeze.

Everyone else hung out and had a good time, while I contemplated my increasing nausea and headache and what that would mean for the next 24 hrs. I had been downing as much aqua as possible, but it didn't seem to do the trick, what with the heat and all, and the headache was not going away. The nausea on the other hand came and went. I don't know what to attribute it to. Every time I tried to have a bite to eat, it came back. Sucks to endure that in such a beautiful setting, not being able to enjoy it at all. Around sunset, I went to bed with no dinner and we definitely had our doubts about a summit bid the next day. But retracing our route to White River CG did not sound appealing at all!

I awoke about 1:30 am Sunday to the sounds of our nearest tent neighbors (Jens and I guess tanstafl [sp?, hi...]) preparing for the summit push. Scott had set an alarm for 1am, but I guess slept throught it. GOOD NEWS! NAUSEA GONE! HEADACHE GONE! However, I went back to sleep anyway. I woke again at 2am, got Scott up and we prepared to leave. All things considered, I was feeling great.

Left Thumb rock at 3am. Thanks to Jens for leading the way up and to whoever has climbed the route recently for kicking all those steps!!! Made our going much easier. We simulclimbed the whole thing, basically, throwing in some screws in the steeper/icier sections. Views are awesome as you are ascending the ridge. After summiting liberty cap, descending to the saddle between it and the main summit, we took the direct line up, departing from the steps that traversed over to the Emmons Glacier.

Made the summit at 9:15 am, took some photos, had a rest, and started descending the Emmons Glacier at 10. Back to car at 3. Very tired. Still sore.

Some pics:

Sunscreen!

176834340_cd3054b758.jpg

Approach to St. Elmos Pass

176834600_14f41e9893.jpg

Scott checkin out the route

176835604_dc33d74a0f.jpg

Still a ways to go

176836590_ecf7aed506.jpg

Must...drink....water...

176836677_b22d72b494.jpg

Dawn on the world

176836716_d2815ac4b4.jpg

Oh, yeah!

176836875_b3a252930e.jpg

the headwall

176836965_1c699bc16e.jpg

Taking a break,high on the route

176837250_53582f439e.jpg

Still going...

176837660_bd4e3eeecd.jpg

Top o' the cap

176837899_5890684b0e.jpg

Liberty Cap in the background

176837995_9908f63d29.jpg

Obigatory summit shot

176838050_59090332b3.jpg

Signing the register

176838147_f9cb19a6b4.jpg

Gear Notes:

3 screws

4 pickets (didn't use)

ice axe + tool (each)

SUNSCREEN

Approach Notes:

very long and winding road

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool. I can't believe it's been a whole year since Oleg and I were up on that route.

It was a neat route, but I'm glad to have it off the list. Funny how I drooled over it for years, when I still lived in Michigan; I figured it be a route of a lifetime. Three years later, after living here, I just did it as an afterthought, on a free weekend.

Pardon my rambling, not enough coffee yet. Kudos to you guys for getting it done; looks like you had a good timethumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the TR. I did the route a week ago, my first time on the mountain. We came down on the 21st. It's amazing how much melting has occured since then, visible in your photos, especially at the toe. We had some spicy duck and run rock fall down there. There was only space for three tents at Thumb Rock, and the upper route wasn't kicked in at all. We saw only periodic faint foot steps up there, so did a bunch of exhausting kicking. The Headwall in your pics looks well packed out by comparison to what we experienced. Awesome route! Nice work.

Incidently, we saw what I think was either the biggest coyote I've ever seen, or a wolf (?) running down the Carbon, from Curtis Ridge first thing in the morning. Pretty strange, yet beautiful.