Looking for Matt Pike and Matt Baker

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

111, does your post have anything to do with ?'s regarding the Garden?

most certainly, but I am also trying to find info in general on te early days at the garden. I want to find out what has already been climbed and what hasnt.

Well back in those days it wasn't called the garden. In fact, I don't recall a name at all other than "those boulders near Green Peter". A few bolts were put on top of the bigger boulders, probably some of the first problems were done and grew back over with moss before they were rediscovered, the only thing I know for sure that was done was the finger crack between the two big boulders, I think M. Pike did that problem first (probably in about 1993 or 1994) A guy named Jon, SnailEye would know his last name I believe, who lived in Corvallis would know I think the most about early problems. He was a shorter dude, blondish, and starting to bald, very short hair, very very good climber. People that I know at least visited the area were Paul Baraza, Matt Pike, Jon?, Brett Hall, Paul Belskis, Matt Baker, Brian Beeger (maybe), me

Ya I belive I met Matt out there, cuz he was the one who said he put the anchors atop the finger crack but never led it, and okayed I add a bolt to make it leadable. He said it was a little later he did that 96ish, I think I first went there in 99/00, and at that time only very few things where clean. Recently there has been a ton of cleaning all over those parts. Someone posted the directions on-line and now people regularly take the trip from PDX to visit.

Defenitley not 1996 cause I was not climbing there the summer of 1996. It was between 1993 and 1995 for sure. Was the Matt you are referring to blond, short and super stong, built like a wrestler (that would be M. Pike).

Mabey we are thinking of a slightly differnt line? After the crack where I continued the line with the bolt adding on another 20 ft or so of climbing(pulling over a roof part with an extremely reachy dynamic move for me), I pulled lots of loose shit off on TR before the lead. If you guys led the same line I am thinking of that is fucking bold.

Maybe different line, although it has been about 10+ years since I climbed it , This crack was located inside a wide spot/slot between two boulders that were maybe 6 or 8 ft apart. The crack was fingery and started angling left then back to the right, before it disappeared after about 15+ feet or so at a bulge I think with 10+ of slab after that to the top. I think the bolt on top had a black hanger, may be an SMC hanger?