[TR] The Sphinx - Lowe Route 10/12/2007

DRep

Trip: The Sphinx - Lowe Route

Date: 10/12/2007

Trip Report:

Today, Spencer Winchester and I climbed the Lowe route on the Sphinx. With my recovery from my broken ankle complete, we decided to be juvinile delinquents and skip out on friday classes for some sick early season ice. We slept at the trail head camp sites, left camp around 6:30am, and reached the helmet sphinx saddle at around 8:30. We didn't realize the magnitude of the traverse to the route (a little bit sketchy). We reached the route after some iced slab traversing. We reached the summit at about 12:30 and hung out for a bit before descending and going back to bozeman. Another party was going to do the route when we were hitting the trailhead but never saw any sign of them. Upon my return I was bombarded with phone calls from people wanting to have some beta.... (here it is, the route is in). It was melting pretty good during the day and it was definitly cold the night before, so it should be forming up pretty fat within the next few weeks. However, I know of at least 4 separate parties going up there tommorrow for it, should be hacked to pieces by the second party.

Pictures will be up soon!!

Cheers:

Dave

Gear Notes:

Full rack o screws including a 22 for the pillar. Ice lines.

Approach Notes:

be careful of bears it is a grizzly relocation site. while hiking we could smell a foul stench that Spence and I knew was from a bear. CARRY BEAR SPRAY!!!

Edited by dave repnik

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...