Climbing Pants

David Trippett

Well...my 5 year old pair of dickies finally bought it when I got too close to a diesel heater ...I've used those pants on so many routes....I'll miss them. If those pants could talk they'd say, "wash your ass, please."

I had a pair of "climbing" pants once...they fell apart in like one season.

So, I'm thinking of going Carhartt.....how are they to climb in?

What do you crazy cats climb in for general traddery and such? Any suggestions?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear dress pants from the thrift store. You can find a lot with polyester/spandex blend that dry fast and stretch just like the fancy climbing pants that cost alot more. They seem to last me a while and when they do get shredded it doesn't matter because they cost about $5. I climb in the same pants that I go to work in.

I found 5 identical pairs of surplus green canvas NPS "slacks" from the garbage compactor in Stehekin that I use and they work really well for cragging routes.

I think in general for cragging you don't need to worry about the breathability and wicking and whatnot of something you might take for more survival/performance traits on an Alpine route. Go with something cheap, and moderately durable, and not too stiff (not the stiffest carhart model)

:laf:

I'm going with these...Thanks for the HOTT tip Carl!

side.jpg

Chimneys must be a bitch! :lmao:

BTW, my current pants (bought 3 pairs real cheap) are a big upgrade from anything I've ever owned. Lowe alpine system rock climbing pants. They were on sale on Backcountry .com. 1st pair $25 next to were $52. They only had 1 size and they fit great.

1st time out, my car keys puntured a hole in the pocket. :mad:

Edited by billcoe

carharts work great, are cheap, and have plenty of room.

if you want a "climbing" pant, nothing beats the Arc'teryx tweave softshell pants for tall skinny guys (beta lt? I dunno)

Dave, dave, dave.... very disappointed in you for not having your Arc'teryx model names memorized.

The pants you (and I) have are the GAMMA LT, and I agree, they are the best climbing pants I've ever owned. I mostly wear them for alpine stuff. For cragging I pretty much wear whatever, but something with a gussetted crotch and tough fabric is nice. I have some Arc'teryx Gamut pants that are really good and those Gramicci pants aren't bad (though they are a little dorky). I think Carhartts are too stiff and restrictive for climbing; high steps and stems tend to be a pain in the ass, well, crotch actually, in them.

Well...my 5 year old pair of dickies finally bought it when I got too close to a diesel heater ...I've used those pants on so many routes....I'll miss them. If those pants could talk they'd say, "wash your ass, please."

I had a pair of "climbing" pants once...they fell apart in like one season.

So, I'm thinking of going Carhartt.....how are they to climb in?

What do you crazy cats climb in for general traddery and such? Any suggestions?

I think you made a Freudian slip. Your pants would say, WATCH your ass". Your tent mate would be the one to say, "WASH your ass".

I like to get army surplus pants with the rip-stop weave. Cargo pockets are great to stash a snack/hat/camera/headlamp, although sometimes the rack snags on the cover flap. Very durable and they fit me great. Relatively cheap.

Second that on the snagging the flap.

Worse is your eyePod earbuds being ripped out.

Dang flaps.

ya the Carharts suck for movement but are tough as hell. I've also found that they get stiff over time but maybe that's just a personal hygiene issue : |

I use the Patagonia Guide pants but they're following apart on me...very comfortable and stretchy softshell material but will be sent back to Patagonia soon to see if I can get them replaced.

LOL! This thread is mad funny!

I usually expect to go thru a pair of pants every summer since I work at an outdoor climbing wall and tend to climb everyday.

In Summer or warm weather I use Pajama Pants. They are cheap, the most comfortable and are easy to roll up or cut.

204019_fpx.jpg

For cooler weather...Weather/Wind Proof Softshell is good but you'll still replace them often if you climb rough. MAMMUT makes the best ones made specifically for climbing and bouldering. I've been using the Mammut Courmayeur(shown below) overtime for the last 2 years and they still look new.

23010_gr.jpg

For Ice climbing...I tore up two pricey GoreTex XCR & PacLITE pants last year with crampon punctures so I'm gonna use rugged ProShell bibs (Arteryx Alpha SV) this year. At $225 to $400 they are expensive, but light, tough and weatherproof. Stay the hell away from PacLITE or thin XCR (between the ice, your crampons, your picks and your screws your PacLITE/XCR pants will be an easy feast! Also wear gaiters if you have 'em. Last year I didn't and I now understand it to be cheaper to destroy gaiters than pants or much easier to patch up gaiters instead of pants.

arc1208_blk_hi.jpg

As for Carhatts & Dickies I never would imagine climbing in them and getting the same flexibility...but if that worked for you before..DO IT!

OwenStarskyHutchSignatureDoIt.jpg

One other note:

MAMMUT came out with one of the best products this year. The Deep Pro Shorts. Complete with waterproof chalk pockets and what looks to be waterproof material all over with flex panels and a padded lumbar support. These were made for climbers who freeclimb over sea so when they fall off the rock and into the water, they have instant swim wear that dry quickly and keep chalk dry. But you can use them anyhow you like too bad they are NOT sold in the USA as yet.

deep_pro_SH_3D_bild21.jpg