Cold remedies!

I'm sick as shit and I have a marathon 12 days from now! What do I do! I've trained 4 months for this! Now all of a sudden, my sinuses are packed with sticky snot, my head and joints are killing me, I can't sleep, my appetite is all over the map, but it's mostly the sinus thing.

AArrrrggghhh....

:cry::tdown::cry::anger::tdown::cry:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a Nettie Pot. It's basically a teapot you use to pour salt water up your nose. Sounds awful, and it is...but damn if it doesn't work!

Other sinus options include Argyrol, a from of silver nitrate. The end of a LONG q-tip is dipped in the solution and shoved up your nose wicked far. Then you sit over a bucket and make a snot mobile. Sound fun? Better than a sinus infection.

I won't even get into the nasal specific technique in which a finger cot (finger tip latex glove) is inflated in your nose with a blood pressure bulb. Not many people go for that one.

there's plenty of supplements, like Eccnasea (sp?), but i'm sure you're aware of those.

Sweating it out always helped me, but keep hydrated with plent of electrolytes.

Echinacea has been most effective for me before the cold/flu gets going strong. I try to use it within 8 hrs of the first symptoms.

I've read studies that show that Echinacea has entirely a placebo effect....

Vitamin C, WATER, rest, good food and warm beds are not placebos......

You can find a study that says pretty much anything, it depends on the quality of the study and also the reproducibility of the study.

You're in exercise science so you should be fully aware of shitty studies :)-

As far as I know, there's more quality studies that say it helps vs. it does nothing.